Need a ruling please!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2009
I was at my DD's highschool softball game last week, and I noticed the lead off batter for the other team was taking swings at a hitting stick, held by their coach, in front of their dug out, right before she went to bat. She took four or five swings at it while the umps and our team waited for her to come to bat. The game had already started....they were home team.

Question is, are players allowed to use hitting aids (or any training aids) on the field after a game has been started?

-

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't see how it takes more time than dry swings, but I haven't ever seen what you are talking about. Perhaps no rule covers it as a distraction. ??

Also, (and this is a guess), since the games aren't timed, the clock wouldn't be a consideration.

If I felt the hitting stick, was beneficial, I would use it "in the hole," not on deck.

I will be interested to see what others think.

Mar 15, 2010
Depending upon your association playing rules you could argue the equipment rule violation. Below is a rule that is fairly common between most associations (ASA, NAFA, etc).

No loose equipment, miscellaneous items, or detached parts of a player’s uniform, other than that being legally used in the game at the time, should be within playable territory as it could cause a blocked ball. Official equipment which may be within playable territory with no penalty includes the batter’s bat, the catcher’s mask, umpire paraphernalia, and any helmet which has inadvertently fallen off the head of an offensive or defensive player during the course of play.

Oct 28, 2009
Depending upon your association playing rules you could argue the equipment rule violation. Below is a rule that is fairly common between most associations (ASA, NAFA, etc).

No loose equipment, miscellaneous items, or detached parts of a player’s uniform, other than that being legally used in the game at the time, should be within playable territory as it could cause a blocked ball. Official equipment which may be within playable territory with no penalty includes the batter’s bat, the catcher’s mask, umpire paraphernalia, and any helmet which has inadvertently fallen off the head of an offensive or defensive player during the course of play.

Thanks SoCalDad. This is the type of rule that I quickly buzz through, UNTIL someone identifies a non-obvious application of the rule (like this one).
The original post only refers to the use of the hitting stick once - with the first hitter for the home team. It sounds like the coach took an opportunity for a coaching moment, but at an inappropriate time. I doubt the umpires would have let this continue.
For me, it's an opportunity to capture a rule that I have never before seen a reason to "master." Thanks again.

Last edited:
May 31, 2009

I am aware of the rule you posted and they did take the hitting stick back in the dugout after the girls hit it. I was told that no training aids of any kind were allowed during a game. I just thought it was crazy....I've never seen anything like that before.

-

Mar 15, 2010
I am aware of the rule you posted and they did take the hitting stick back in the dugout after the girls hit it. I was told that no training aids of any kind were allowed during a game. I just thought it was crazy....I've never seen anything like that before.-

I haven't seen a hitting stick but a couple of years ago I did see a coach in a tournament put out one of those Striker hitting aids that hangs on the fence. I asked the umpire for clarification of this rule and he had the other coach remove it. Quite honestly if it was just for the lead-off batter I don't think an umpire would bother.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole