Need a Drop for an 11 year old pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Thanks all. That's a good starting place for me. I like to be cautious. Lots of crazy tips and drills out there that can really discourage a kid. A common drop warm up and drill for a rollover around here is for pitchers to stand side ways, come all the way over the ball and slam it into the ground. Wasn't sure that was going to help my kid out.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
hey...hey...I have to say we had some good success tonight adding a drop to the arsenal by just taking the tips mentioned here, a PM from Madsdad and an old link on the drop from Rick Pauly. A real nice start.

Feb 5, 2010
This is the first time I have tried to send an image so it it doesn't work please let me know. If it does work, it is a picture of a contraption my dd has begun to work with to get proper release of her peel. The top chinese jump rope is about 28" and the lower is 22" its portable and there is no deflection to worry about.

PITCHING_CONTRAPTION_001.JPG I18N YGP.SaveAll I18N YGP.SaveProgress I18N YGP.ViewAfterSave

Feb 5, 2010
I think I have it now

dabigsv

May 5, 2008
If she has good 12 6 rotation and lets got sooner it will drop. Trick is finding the release point.

^^^^^^^^^
yes that

does not have to be different mechanics from "fastball."

If your fastball has great spin, you can throw a drop by simply altering release point. This was one of my DDs better pitches which she threw without really doing it on purpose at first.

As others have stated - lots of ground outs and a bunch that just ended up swinging and missing on the pitches that hit the ground before they reached the catcher (swung over it). Made hitters look awful at times. Kinda fun :)

Nov 11, 2009
It works for my dd, though I cant compare her drop to other pitchers. I will not teach her drop curve as I will not potentially cause shoulder injury to my dd myth or not. She likely is not a D1 prospect but it works for her. Hillhouse video and instruction here and it has been working for us. When we are pitching I always tell her to let go of ball sooner. Seems like late release causes problems with all her pitches. If her fastball drops some works for me. I have been telling her no fastballs, only drops. Ground balls....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying