Need a Drop for an 11 year old pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I would love to have a down and out pitch for my 11 year old. Here is where we are now:

Fastball - Excellent control in and out. Decent game speed 44 - 46

Change - Abandoned flip change to a much more effective change we discovered accidently about 15 months ago. We were toying with a roll over drop. I asked her to come down the back of the circle, at the bottom have her hand flat, come over the back of the ball (like she is turning a door knob) and finish across to the opposite pocket. What we got was a great change-up 10 mph off fastball speed that seems to be what some call a back door change. It has lots of spin, her arm movement looks like a fastball. It has been so effective and consistent I hate to work on a drop that is close to that movement for fear of messing this pitch up.

I would like to teach her a peel drop but I am a little concerned about creating a muscle memory that pushes and gets the fingers behind the ball messing up I.R.

Someone here teach me a drop without messing up her fastball or great change up that was supposed to be a drop ball.

THANK YOU for any help.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
So to clarify you want a drop ball that is not to much like a rollover and not too much like a peel. Am I reading this right?

Go with the peel, its the one most recommended by those who teach younger kids. And I can't remember any proponant of IR saying it messes it up.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
So to clarify you want a drop ball that is not to much like a rollover and not too much like a peel. Am I reading this right?
Ha! Exactly!

I like some of the characteristics of the rollover because many throw it as a drop curve that cuts down and away. When thrown hard I have seen this as very effective. Unfortunately this is the one I am going to avoid because the mechanic is too much like that change she learned so I would like to work with the peel.

From what I understand she should release this a little earlier with her fingers trying to pull up the back of the ball. Do people typically finish this with the hello elbow? Does anyone have a good video of it (other than that one Ernie parker always had on his website). can anyone describe based on personal experience as a coach or pitcher how to throw it?

I would appreciate it and I think it would be a good discussion.

Nov 11, 2009
If she has good 12 6 rotation and lets got sooner it will drop. Trick is finding the release point.

Feb 5, 2010
Not sure why you would think it would effect IR. Do you know what type of spin is on the ball now? Go out and get a spin-right spinner and use the cross grip to get your dd to start making the adjustment. I will send a pm

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Ihowser … I’ll let you in on a little secret.

Have your daughter master throwing her ‘fastball’ so that it consistently hits the catcher’s knees …. Viola … your daughter has a ‘dropball’.

Jul 26, 2010
Half the magic of a drop ball is the fact that when it has the correct spin, hits will more often result in ground balls for outs then line drives for hits. The dropping part is great, but the truth is that pitches low in the corners of the zone with a good 6-12 spin are not going to be hard hit balls.

-W

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I think I am catching on. A good drop ball is a good fastball released at the right point with tight 12/6 rotation? If that is so color in the lines on the keys to imparting the most spin.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I think I am catching on. A good drop ball is a good fastball released at the right point with tight 12/6 rotation? If that is so color in the lines on the keys to imparting the most spin.

Bold above ... that's pretty much correct.

As for the comment on "most spin" ... be a bit careful there ... I've seen multiple people go off on a tangent and target excessive spin (as measured with a rev-fire), and in the process degrade speed significantly. Take a note of the spin rates documented at rev-fire, and think twice before you attempt to spin the ball far in excess of the charts they show ... and at the very least, take note of any speed degradation in the process of attempting to enhance spin.

Jul 26, 2010
Bold above ... that's pretty much correct.

As for the comment on "most spin" ... be a bit careful there ... I've seen multiple people go off on a tangent and target excessive spin (as measured with a rev-fire), and in the process degrade speed significantly. Take a note of the spin rates documented at rev-fire, and think twice before you attempt to spin the ball far in excess of the charts they show ... and at the very least, take note of any speed degradation in the process of attempting to enhance spin.

This is a good point, however, an off-speed drop is also a great pitch, especially if the pitcher has control issues with their change-up and throws it high in the zone. Not saying that an off-speed drop is a replacement for a regular drop! Just that it is a very useful pitch to have.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loudee16