NCAA rules- ball hits hand

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Tonight’s game- ball partially hits batters hand on bat. Batter did not attempt to swing.

Umpire called foul ball.

I was not in a great spot to see it but why not hit batter or dead ball/strike or ball?

Just a few weeks ago I saw ball hit batters hand with no swing attempt and batter got first base. Seemed like same play tonight.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
It will depend on whether the umpire thought it hit hand or bat first, or if it caught the hand at all. Some players are great actresses, others not so great. Basically, if it hits bat first, foul ball, if it hits hand first, HBP.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
If the batter swings and is struck by the ball it is an immediate dead ball, strike. Where the ball ends up is of zero consequence.

Dec 11, 2010
It will depend on whether the umpire thought it hit hand or bat first, or if it caught the hand at all. Some players are great actresses, others not so great. Basically, if it hits bat first, foul ball, if it hits hand first, HBP.
The ball hitting bat then hand was the only thing I could think of- still weird since no attempt. She barely moved to try to get out of way, maybe ball followed handle but it also sounded odd, you could tell her hand was involved.

It was nbd, have just been seeing some weird calls late with hbp

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott