NCAA K zone and batters box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
NCAA softball may have to rethink their position here very soon. I read something the other day that Florida is on pace to double their NCAA hit by pitch record they set a couple of years ago. They crowd the plate and stand there like statues.

and most of them wear those elbow protector pads.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
There was no box drawn , it was where the ball or strike was or was not being called the way i saw it ,just above the belt was a ball, all game, and no one was really complaining, and the batters were going after them above that, hitters choice.

Okay. When you refered to the "K-Zone" I thought that you were refering to the digitized box used to illustrate the strike zone on televised games.

I said i understood the rule, batter being hit not having to move, how ever now i know what the announcers meant, if IT'S OUT OF THE BOX YOU HAVE TO ATTEMPT to get out of the way, thus your arms are over the plate, you must attempt to get out of the way, my mistake in forgetting /// your 2nd paragraph is off "not having read"

In your first post when you typed "what am I missing here, never heard that" I thought that you meant you were confused by the rule and "had never heard of that".

Never mind...

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
So are you saying that the Gators get so many HBP's are because they are unlucky?

Sorry for the late response...DD3 needed to get her tonsils out today before she can become the next Sierra Romero in 2025 :)

I'm with GM...incredibly unlucky...

My guess is that opposing teams are scouting the Gators and seeing them crowding the plate and are trying to jam the hitters...just a guess though...CP

Apr 8, 2013
Okay. When you refered to the "K-Zone" I thought that you were refering to the digitized box used to illustrate the strike zone on televised games.

I cannot stand the new ESPN K zone. Turned on a game the other night and thought it was up for a few pitches for effect. Turns out they are showing it full time. I changed the channel and will continue to do so. If they even think about showing that during softball and WCWS.........

Mar 2, 2013
Im not making any comment about the rule based on what an announcer may have said on tv, Im basing my comments off my own interaction with other officials and watching with my own eyes what is happening in college ball. These batters are going up with armor on, crowding the plate with elbows and knees hanging outside of the box and then standing like statues on inside pitches.

I hear over and over from fellow officails no attempt is required, and that is not what the rule says. For that matter, many are even applying the rule in ASA which does in fact still require an attempt to avoid. Coaches are just as bad, if you dont award the base they are immediately out arguing that no attempt is required and have even had ASA coaches claiming the rule has been changed.

If the part of the body that is hit is outside the box, rule accordingly. It's not difficult. Apply the proper rule.

If they can protect their head with a helmet, why not their elbow with a pad of sorts?

Too many umpire moronically don't award a base in the other codes that require an attempt to avoid being hit in cases where the batter freezes and gets drilled. The game is much different today than when the rule was written. Logic and common sense have been blinded in part by the black and white lettering of the rule. The rule was never intended not to allow the award of 1st base for a batter who got drilled with a fast ball when she froze or by a pitch in the dirt whose "bounce direction" was anybody's guess.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild