NCAA K zone and batters box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
The NCAA strike zone is top of the ball below the sternum. They may be setting the top of the box low because generally speaking any part of the ball that touches the strike zone is a strike. By setting the top line a ball width low which would be about waist high will give a strike indication of a ball below the sternum.

As for the hit by pitch, I really have a problem with the way the rule is worded. It seems many umpires read the first portion which says no attempt to avoid is required, and stop at that point. The rule actually goes on to state if the ball is totally within the batters box. In other words, the batter is still actually required to make an attempt to avoid unless the ball is more than 6" off the corner of the plate.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The strike zone you see drawn on your TV screen is arbitrarily drawn by some guy on a computer back in the broadcast truck. It's not necessarily going to comply with the rule book strike zone, and most likely not going to match up perfectly with what the umpire is calling. It's just one guy's rough estimate.

I'm surprised that you've never heard about the batter getting hit by a pitch that's inside the batter's box. NCAA adopted that rule about 3-4 years ago. High school ball adopted it the following year, and it's trickled down to just about every other major sanctioning body (but not for ASA).

A brief history of the rule...It was first adopted by NCAA baseball. Coaches complained about how umpires were judging a batter's "effort to avoid the pitch". Suddenly, the rule that had served baseball well for over one hundred years just wasn't good enough. So, they dumbed it down and took away the umpire's judgment on pitches that were entirely inside the batter's box. If it was inside the box, no attempt to avoid was needed to get the free base.

The year after NCAA baseball wrote this new rule, NCAA softball adopted it as their own. The interesting thing is that NCAA baseball, the ones that started this whole thing, rescinded the rule this year. Now they're back to calling it the way it always was!

Jun 22, 2008
NCAA softball may have to rethink their position here very soon. I read something the other day that Florida is on pace to double their NCAA hit by pitch record they set a couple of years ago. They crowd the plate and stand there like statues.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
NCAA softball may have to rethink their position here very soon. I read something the other day that Florida is on pace to double their NCAA hit by pitch record they set a couple of years ago. They crowd the plate and stand there like statues.

And Don Baylor didn't do this for 19 years in MLB?

Girl from Louisville leaned into a change up Sunday night from a FSU pitcher (not sure if Waldrop was still in the game).

I'm not saying the rule doesn't need to be changed...I would just like to see the folks are make the rule changes stand in the box with a 70mph pitch coming their way before they think someone is intentionally getting hit by a pitch...

CP

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
And Don Baylor didn't do this for 19 years in MLB?

Girl from Louisville leaned into a change up Sunday night from a FSU pitcher (not sure if Waldrop was still in the game).

I'm not saying the rule doesn't need to be changed...I would just like to see the folks are make the rule changes stand in the box with a 70mph pitch coming their way before they think someone is intentionally getting hit by a pitch...

CP

So are you saying that the Gators get so many HBP's are because they are unlucky?

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
There was no box drawn , it was where the ball or strike was or was not being called the way i saw it ,just above the belt was a ball, all game, and no one was really complaining, and the batters were going after them above that, hitters choice.

I said i understood the rule, batter being hit not having to move, how ever now i know what the announcers meant, if IT'S OUT OF THE BOX YOU HAVE TO ATTEMPT to get out of the way, thus your arms are over the plate, you must attempt to get out of the way, my mistake in forgetting /// your 2nd paragraph is off "not having read"

Mar 2, 2013
I find it rather stupid and illogical for someone to argue that a rule is poor because a person reading it might not read the entire rule. By this logic, I can't order a rib eye at the steak house because they only have appetizers there.

There are virtually no rules that are 100% complete in one sentence.

Some people just need to wake up and stop making excuses.

I also wouldn't say that a rule isn't read in its entirety because some announcer may have gotten it wrong on TV.

Jun 22, 2008
I find it rather stupid and illogical for someone to argue that a rule is poor because a person reading it might not read the entire rule. By this logic, I can't order a rib eye at the steak house because they only have appetizers there.

There are virtually no rules that are 100% complete in one sentence.

Some people just need to wake up and stop making excuses.

I also wouldn't say that a rule isn't read in its entirety because some announcer may have gotten it wrong on TV.

Im not making any comment about the rule based on what an announcer may have said on tv, Im basing my comments off my own interaction with other officials and watching with my own eyes what is happening in college ball. These batters are going up with armor on, crowding the plate with elbows and knees hanging outside of the box and then standing like statues on inside pitches.

I hear over and over from fellow officails no attempt is required, and that is not what the rule says. For that matter, many are even applying the rule in ASA which does in fact still require an attempt to avoid. Coaches are just as bad, if you dont award the base they are immediately out arguing that no attempt is required and have even had ASA coaches claiming the rule has been changed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi