Ncaa d-ii 2014

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2011
DD is senior and signed with Winona State. Great school and great coaches. We will try to make some games this year and hope to get up to their season opener in a few weeks. Glad to see they got votes but surprised they dropped out of poll with 7 returning starters from last year. Can't wait to watch DD play next year!

Nov 15, 2011
Sorry Cannonball- I should be more clear. Mine is senior in HS. Just signed in November. So we have one more HS season to go this summer (crazy Iowa) and then on to Winona State. She is thrilled to end up in Winona, although playing in cold weather is not her favorite so I don't know what she was thinking.......

I've enjoyed reading your posts over the years and really value your philosophy- you are one who "gets it." Perhaps our daughters will get the chance to meet on the field next year. Best of luck to your DD this year. Thanks for starting this thread- hopefully we can keep it active with updates!

Jan 31, 2011
That is awesome 7smom. You threw out the Iowa comment (were from Iowa too) so a brief look at IGHSAU website and hey, first team all-state selection last year for your DD. Fantastic. My DD is two down on that list from your's. Very small world I am really finding out!

Winona St. has a absolute stud of a kid from our high school conference. My DD was fortunate enough to play a year of club ball (fall ball mainly) with her. It must be a great program going up there...

Sep 18, 2011
For those of you with daughters playing D2 or who have signed to play, when did they get recruited? Do D2 schools make early offers (9-10 grades) too? When did your DDs start going to camps?? just a little curious about the process. Thanks.

18GoldDad

Livin the Dream!!!
May 13, 2012
Left Coast
Historically DII Schools didn't offer until Junior and Senior years. However, this may be changing. I do know of a few schools that have offered during Sophomore year. My DD was offered and verballed in January of her Sophomore year. The school has been watching her play since the summer prior to her freshmen year.

During that same summer she had sent introduction/interest letters to all the Colleges on her wish list. It so happens that the #1 school on her list was actually evaluating a few of her Junior and Senior teammates during a Showcase. After the Junior and Senior prospects got their time, and knowing that my DD had written to the school , her travel ball coach was able to get her into the game.

It wasn't this one game they watched her play that got her the offer, it's what got the ball rolling. My daughter sent (and continues to do so) emails updating the coaching staff with her grades, community service activity, holiday greetings, Tournament/Showcase/High School schedules and recaps. Over the past two years, she's been evaluated by the staff in person, video and at their camp.

Nov 15, 2011
BB875- Thanks for the compliment. DD is one of the hardest workers I know. And yes- softball world is very small. UIU head coach is personal friend and DD's former hitting coach and mentor. You won't find a better person around. I'm really pulling for them to have a great season!

29sdad- The recruiting process is interesting. It can be brutal at times. DH summed it up best when he said, "this recruiting thing was fun, until it wasn't..." DII schools can directly contact players (email or phone) starting June 15th after their sophomore year of HS. DD got a call from a coach (not where she is going) morning of the 15th. Got some emails shortly after that. We also treated DII just like DI. We started doing college visits in spring of her freshman year. I highly recommend starting to do college visits early so you all (whole family) get a feeling for schools. The coaches who showed interest in DD all said they were interested because she was interested in them (she sent lots of emails starting freshman year and making visits). DII schools do not have the recruiting budgets of DI's and therefore tend to spend their time more locally and on watching players who have shown interest. This is obviously not a blanket statement but we found it to be the case most places we went.

My DD discovered through the recruiting process that she liked the DII philosophy of more balance. She is as much a perfectionist with her school work as she is with her softball. Since she was not going to play for a top level DI, she decided she would rather target top level DII's than play at a low level DI (and there are plenty of those out there) AND have time to commit to her school work. Her offer came in December of her junior year of HS. From what I know of other DII's that we visited and were in contact with, that was one of the earlier offers. She verballed in January last year. Good luck! I have lots of opinions and experiences to share on the recruiting end of things- let me know if you want me to ramble on again- this ended up way longer than I intended!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish