Nancy Evans - The Softball Pitching Factory Videos

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2009
Hi,

Does anyone know anything about Nancy Evans' pitching videos? She has several videos out as part of a Softball Pitching Factory series. I know Nancy was an amazing pitcher and went on to become the pitching coach at U of A. I believe recently she has been working with the Dutch National team.
I am hoping to get some feedback about the DVDs to help me decide if I should purchase any of them.

Thanks!!!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have watched her Youtube stuff. She is really good. She is also one of the many coaches that wants the pitcher to end with a power L elbow.

Scarecrow

Former Coach
May 7, 2008
Heartland of America
My daughter has both the Windmill Pitching 101 and Troubleshooting DVDs. She started out with these videos, and after 3 years still watches them as refreshers.

One thing to know is that Nancy Evans advocates a bullet spin release as opposed to the more common wrist snap. Don't know about your team coach or your pitching coach, but my DD had problems with her ball coach trying to correct her because her pitching arm would cross her body. Not trying to start a 'Should pitchers be taught a bullet spin' discussion, so I'll just say the Windmill Pitching 101 would be excellent for someone just starting out (8u or early 10u) where accuracy and consistancy are more important that speed.

Apr 13, 2010
so I'll just say the Windmill Pitching 101 would be excellent for someone just starting out (8u or early 10u) where accuracy and consistancy are more important that speed.

Why? Proper mechanics accomplishes both. The emphasis should always be on proper mechanics. Accuracy, speed, consistency are just the product of good mechanics.

May 25, 2010
My daughter has both the Windmill Pitching 101 and Troubleshooting DVDs. She started out with these videos, and after 3 years still watches them as refreshers.

One thing to know is that Nancy Evans advocates a bullet spin release as opposed to the more common wrist snap. Don't know about your team coach or your pitching coach, but my DD had problems with her ball coach trying to correct her because her pitching arm would cross her body. Not trying to start a 'Should pitchers be taught a bullet spin' discussion, so I'll just say the Windmill Pitching 101 would be excellent for someone just starting out (8u or early 10u) where accuracy and consistancy are more important that speed.

Nope, wrong forum. The softball people here will tell you that proper mechanics in delivering the ball is the key, not where the ball ends up. There are those rec parents and coaches out there who do agree with your line of thinking, but the majority of those in the know are aware it does a disservice to the girls and hinders their potential development.

Jun 13, 2009
So, Scarecrow... you're saying to learn this way at 9 years old, then switch to another way later? You don't think it takes a lifetime to learn how to pitch and it wouldn't be hard to have to keep changing?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I had one of the DVDs and sent it back because of the bullet spin fastball. However in light of the difficulty I have sometimes in teaching IR I am rethinking the bulletspin thing. if a girl has to throw bulletspin she is going to have to keep her arm/hand in a position that is a precursor to IR.

Apr 23, 2009
Outside of the bullet spin topic, does anyone have other comments on the videos? Which videos in particular have you seen?

Jul 26, 2010
My daughter was originally taught the "bullet spin" like Cat Osterman, then another coach taught her the "wrist snap", and now she uses a natural IR motion.

She can still throw all three ways. IMHO, it's no different then learning a curve, drop, or screw, it's just another release. A good pitcher is a good student and is able to learn and relearn as she grows.

I'm not going to get into an argument about which is better and which is worse, I'm sure I've posted my thoughts before, I'm just stating that learning one way is not going to keep the kid from learning something else later on.

-W

Mar 10, 2009
The video on teaching the riseball (I think it's called The Ruthless Riseball) has some good information in regards to a good spin progresson series of drills that I have used in the past with good results.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA