My pitcher took one to the facemask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It was such a scene on the field and I immediately began yelling for ice, that I didn't check the bat. Afterwards, I couldn't have even told you where the runners ended up, etc. I wouldn't have known just by looking at it, if the bat was altered or not, anyway. But, it is a thought.

Dec 22, 2010
I'm glad she is ok Amy. You are such a caring person, they are fortunate to have you as a coach. My 9 y/o DD wears a Rip-it mask. I have two friends who also have daughters that pitch but don't wear masks (ages 10 & 12). After reading this post, I sent them the link.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
Last year, my DD had her nose broken by a careless throw as she was warming up for a game. She turned to speak to the coach and when she turned back; the ball hit her smack in the face. I hate to say it, but it was probably the best place she could have been hit. Anywhere else off center, the ball could have knocked out some teeth or fractured an orbit- and the ball was not thrown that hard- I can't imagine what it would be like for a girl to be hit in the face with a ball coming off the bat.

The plastic surgeon wanted her to be out one month. We compromised by wearing complete face protection all the time as soon as she stepped on the field, so she was back much sooner. It was the best possible habit to be forced on her- so now she wears it ALL the time, no matter where on the field she plays. It has not negatively impacted her play, if anything she is more aggressive I think it should be mandatory for all pitchers and infielders. The rip it mask has a very low profile, is light-weight and does not get too hot.

Oct 22, 2009
When my DD was a freshman in college one of the outfielders took a hit to the face when she was hitting. Knocked her teeth out. She had a to get a cage for her batting helmet and wear a mask in the outfield from then on.
Only time I had ever seen an outfielder wearing a mask.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
my DD still wears hers when she plays in the outfield- because it was part of the deal to be able to play after the nasal Fx. I know of at least one instance of a bad facial injury to an outfielder who lost the ball in the sun so I still encourage her to wear it no matter what- as I said, her initial injury was a careless mistake, these things happen so it is a small thing to wear the mask as a preventative measure- like a seatbelt.

Dec 10, 2010
A, A
wow...thanks for posting this. I am going to make my DD read this whole thread. When she first started pitching...she wore the mask. But, this last season, she has been giving us problems. she says it messes with her pitching. I told her now that the season is over, I am goign to make her wear it in pitching lessons so she gets used to it

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Many sports, plus the catcher and umpire wear masks. There are various masks to choose from, now. In men's slowpitch many of the pitchers are wearing full masks plus a helmet. Some are trying masks from other sports, too. Since the mask isn't required, it can be any protective mask, even from another sport.

I don't buy the argument that they "can't see," "it is too hot," etc. If the ball hits your eye socket, you can't see permanently. And pitchers with a facemask are certainly no hotter than the catcher.

It might help, if the folks would wear a mask when they are catching their DD. I always do.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Many sports, plus the catcher and umpire wear masks. There are various masks to choose from, now. In men's slowpitch many of the pitchers are wearing full masks plus a helmet. Some are trying masks from other sports, too. Since the mask isn't required, it can be any protective mask, even from another sport.

I don't buy the argument that they "can't see," "it is too hot," etc. If the ball hits your eye socket, you can't see permanently. And pitchers with a facemask are certainly no hotter than the catcher.

It might help, if the folks would wear a mask when they are catching their DD. I always do.
I've been wearing a catchers mask for the past 2 years, and full catchers gear since about March. I gained a lot of empathy for the catcher wearing that hot gear. I also gained a bit of confidence in catching my dd and I think she gained a bit of comfort knowing that she is not going to throw a pitch that might hurt me.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
One of the safety eyewear manufacturers used to run ads in trade mags with a picture of a smiling face with a black eye and a few welts because their glasses had saved their eyesight in some industrial accident.

Maybe galleries of pictures like the one you posted would be effective advertising.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1