My first parent coach confrontation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
She doesn't "hustle"? What does that mean? She doesn't "pay attention"? Again, what does that mean? And, to go a little further, if the child doesn't hustle and pay attention, then it is *YOUR* fault as the head coach for not teaching her.

I would disagree with that. You can teach them to hit, you can teach them to throw, you can teach them to catch, etc.. you can't teach "hustle". They've either got it, or they don't. Kids, teenagers, adults, it doesn't matter.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I would disagree with that. You can teach them to hit, you can teach them to throw, you can teach them to catch, etc.. you can't teach "hustle". They've either got it, or they don't. Kids, teenagers, adults, it doesn't matter.

I don't know that this is entirely true either. The coaches main function is to inspire the girls to do their best. When they feel they are not being given a fair opportunity, they withdraw and harbor resentment towards the coach. Getting them to do anything becomes more difficult and hustle is not going to happen, regardless of physical abilities.

When kids are having fun, they are alot more energetic.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I don't know that this is entirely true either. The coaches main function is to inspire the girls to do their best. When they feel they are not being given a fair opportunity, they withdraw and harbor resentment towards the coach. Getting them to do anything becomes more difficult and hustle is not going to happen, regardless of physical abilities.

When kids are having fun, they are alot more energetic.

I agree to a certain extent. With that said, Rec ball is somewhat different. The team I coach (10u), many times the kids won't come to practice. When they do, they don't want to be there. I have a few that want to pitch. I ask them to stay over after practice to work on pitching and they won't. Then they get their feelings hurt because I won't put them in the game as a pitcher.
When dealing with this age group, blanket statements don't work. They know they will get to play every game, regardless of the effort they put in. Every girl is different and many (my team) are there for a social event.

Jun 9, 2011
Doug, something I have already learned in my young coaching time (travel 10u) is that for every parent that compliments what you are doing there is one that hates what you are doing.

Never manage to pacify a parent.

Do what’s right in your estimation, stand by it and sleep well.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
She doesn't "hustle"? What does that mean? She doesn't "pay attention"? Again, what does that mean? And, to go a little further, if the child doesn't hustle and pay attention, then it is *YOUR* fault as the head coach for not teaching her.

You can lead the horse to water but you can't make him drink.
period.

I used to think that as a good coach you could inspire and raise up your team to perform at their best. What I have seen is that not every girl wants to learn. not everyone wants to be the best they can be. some kids are there just because it's softball season. some kids are there because they believe it's what their parents want them to do. Most of the kids really don't care. the key is finding the ones who do.

Another thing - where we live, we had a lot of rain-outs. Many teams played 3 games over the past 4 weeks - that's horrendous for pitchers. Most teams in our league have just 2 pitchers because with 3 it's hard to give them all the playing time they need. I had a mother e-mail me about this last night. Nice kid, nice parents but they had no idea. their DD who moved up to our team this year and is pitching pretty much equal time to the two girls who pitched for us last year. To her parents she seemed like she was treated as more of an afterthought.

Jun 13, 2011
Welcome to the world of softball coaching. Many years ago a wise coach once told me, "The best friends your daughter will ever have will be from softball, the greatest enemies you will ever make will be their parents".
This just hit the nail on the head perfectly for me today!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06