Muscles vs. Movement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

A

alanfostersmith

MOVEMENT vs. MUSCLE

Modern science tells us that the brain does not recognize individual muscle activity...it doesn`t need to.

Instead, the brain looks at movement
patterns and creates coordination between all the muscles needed this
coorrdination is called a motor program.

Isolated muscle development does not play a major role in motor pattern development. Don`t confuse form with function. Weight training with muscle isolation is popular in bodybuilding because bodybuilding is about form.

Muscle size and symmetry are the goals. But most sports are about movement. Speed, Quickness, Agility, Power, Control, Coordination, and Stamina are the keys to success.

The goal of training is not to change how the body looks, but to improve how the body moves. Therefore, sport training should focus on movement patterns rather than individual muscles.

Muscles will develop naturally as different movement patterns are worked, so most athletes will look as if they have done some bodybuilding.

But the focus is on function, great form is just a by-product.
Movement is ultimately what defines great athletes.
It certainly is what defined Barry Sanders. At 5 feet 8 inches and 203 pounds,
Barry had a relatively average, if not small, body for the NFL.

Many wondered whether he could survive the punishment meted out in professional football.

But Barry`s ability to move was unique.
He was compact and quick.He demonstrated a perfect balance of control and quickness.He soon quieted his critics.

But his physique didn`t define his career, his movement did.

To be ignorant of motion is to be ignorant of nature.

Jan 15, 2009
It would be more interesting if you could provide data that Barry Sanders got to 5 feet 8 inches and 203 pounds with pilates and plyometrics instead of weight lifting. I had roommates in college who struggled to get over 150 lbs eating protein shakes and lifting weights not sure I beleive you can get that big without some weight lifting.

A

alanfostersmith

I guess what I was getting at was...most parents uninformed trainers,athletes,coaches,etc. are way too worried about muscle or lifting weights for sports performance.Its all about movement...I can care less if an athlete comes to me and says that they can bench 305 or squat 450..if you have no core stability,strength,mobility...if you have compensations or weaknesses,I will have or find athletes that will outlast and out perform you just about 100% of the time.Barry Sanders was`nt one of the biggest in the NFL...but in his day was one of the best.So I try 2 inform all of my athletes and parents about the importance of Movement and building a solid foundation.

A

alanfostersmith

Thanks Marc,
I appreciate your help.I`m new to this...but I thought this would be a wonderful forum to educate athletes as well as parents and coaches.I have athletes in all sports but love working with the softball community.All of my athletes/girls get a Functional Movement Screen every 4-6 weeks.As I believe in building a strong foundation based around athletic movement.From these tests they`re given a corrective exercise program to help correct those weaknesses or compensations in the body...especially to unleash even more explosive power for my hitters and my agility and speed for my infielders/outfielders.I would love any help that I could get from you to reach more in the softball community.Would also like to see if we could perhaps do somethings together.Thank you again, hope 2 talk 2 you again.

Alan Smith
alanfostersmith@aol.com
Another Level Sports Performance - Home

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06