Moved from hitting thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2014
Hi all,

I am starting to get my niece into softball. I played in high school and in occasional Sunday leagues. I was never a pitcher but she wants to learn how to pitch. She is 10 years old. Any tips on where to start or what to focus on? Any suggestions would be great!

mike s

Pitcher's Dad
Jul 18, 2011
Northern IL
Look at the IR in the classroom and then the Drive Mechanics threads. Also look at the model pitchers, it is lots of video of top pitchers. If DD (darling Daughter) is serious then consider hiring a pitching coach. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I would start out with her learning to throw the ball underhanded, and then progress to pitching.

That is, don't start her out with a windup. Simply have her get open (facing 3B) and have her toss the ball to you underhand. Then, you and she play pitch and catch.

So:

1) She gets open.
2) She does a little backswing and tosses the ball to you. (*NO* windup. Just toss the ball).
3) After she throws the ball to you, she closes (i.e., faces you) in order to receive the ball.
4) You throw the ball back to her.
5) Go to (1).

Do this over and over again until she is as good at this as she is at playing pitch and catch overhand.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She probably needs 11 inch balls and will pitch from 35 feet, you can check and make sure. Measure from the back of the plate to the front of the pitching rubber. Throw down anything to use as a plate and eventually get her a pitching rubber (or a sturdy board that can be nailed down.) Make certain that her glove is a decent piece of leather and can catch an 11 inch ball. She might need a 12 inch glove.

Have hr practice in her cleats. Buy her a dozen balls. (kinda pricey $5-7 a piece) You might find someone with a daughter moving up and get the balls, that she no longer needs.

Make certain that she knows a 4 seam grip and uses it to pitch with. Another term to know is "power line." Her toes need to turn to that, every time she pitches.

For a very beginner 10 yo, I would warm up. Move her back a little by little and probably keep her around 35-50 pitches, as long as she is having fun.