More Important....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

More Important

• Middle School Practice

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Travel Team (12u) Scrimmage

Votes: 14 66.7%

• Total voters

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
MTR: We are talking about skipping school practice for travel, not doing travel. Good grief.

No, Charlie Brown, the question was which was more important. The thread then morphed into what different areas permit or don't permit. :cool:

Ohio and Arizona, IIRC, are the only states to ban it completely during HS season. I thought you were a stickler for detail.

I am, which is why I pointed out that the rules or allowances may differ an muliple levels in many different areas after another poster offered what could be a misleading statement that "almost all school rules".....oh, wait, that was you. Good grief! :rolleyes:

However, if you can't make all the games and practices because you want to play travel, then go play travel and don't sign up for school team. It is that easy of a decision.

No argument. And you may have noted that being a stickler to detail, I noted that IMO there should be no issue, lawful or otherwise, as long as the player can make the practices and games.

I do not support a player foresaking any commitment made to anyone or team. However, if there is to be more than one activity at the same time, it is only fair to allow the secondary party aware of your priorities and the possibility that events may be missed.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
Represent school and community first. My opinion but I am a school coach but do go watch the other girls that play on different travel ball teams than my daughters every chance I get. I support them both but think the child should be slightly more loyal to the school. Also my daughter does not let travel ball team take prefernce over school team.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
In Alabama girls can not participate in travel ball from the first competition through the game their season is completed. You have to be careful to even hit with the travel team. If a certain number of girls are there it counts against you and you could be ruled ineligible. A team was removed from the playoffs a couple of years ago after they self reported a violation. A player had played in a slow pitch game and it was considered outside competition.

May 24, 2011
Monmouth County NJ
I'm not sure if it's legal or not but we always chose a game over practice. This is a tough one b/c a scrimmage is a practice game not as important in the big scheme of things. Also our middle school only plays during the week and pretty much right after school so there should be a way for travel coaches to work it out. I'd have to chose MS practice.

Jul 26, 2010
Here's the hierarchy I teach to my teams (travel, rec, whatever)

1. School/Academics
2. Family
3. Travel Ball GAMES
4. School/Rec ball GAMES
5. Travel Ball Practice
6. school/rec ball Practice

It's not right or wrong, but it's important that all the kids on the team share the same priorities to prevent confusion.

OP is talking about MIDDLE SCHOOL ball. This usually is not burdened with the same rules many states (mine included, California), have regarding High School play and the fact that ANY games or practices (with the exception of clinics) are not legal during High School season.

-W

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole