More Important....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

More Important

• Middle School Practice

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Travel Team (12u) Scrimmage

Votes: 14 66.7%

• Total voters

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
MS Practice (no leading until pitch crosses plate, 4 OF) or Travel Ball (12U) Scrimmage??

Just wondering...there probably is no wrong or right answer!!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Too vague a question. Some states can't choose. Some that can the school coach prefers you don't. ( for injury purposes )

If you are simply asking what will the DD get more out of, then the TB scrimmage.

What may be more "important" to you, may not be top priority to the DD. She chose to tryout and play MS ball for these few short months. TB takes up the other 6-9 months.

What does your DD do CoachTucc? Does she play MS ball? Does she play for the same school? Are you setting up TB practice around your DD's school practice?

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
I don't have a DD...I'm just a coach!!
I practice with my seven 6th graders to keep them sharp!
It really doesn't matter to me in regards to the question...I am just throwing it out there to see what people think. As long as all the girls are playing, its cool!!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I was just asking. Seen this situation many many times.

Glad you're not in the 99% tile. Most that I see, their DD does not play MS/HS and they can't get over the fact that "some" girls like the representation of school ball.

Others...........their own DD plays MS ball but not for the same school. So the coach purposely schedules a practice or scrimmage around his own kids school ball and expects the others to just skip the MS obligations. And that's not right.

But yes, as short as the school season is, and as long as they are getting dirt time..........the school ball should take priority over TB. Even though the level of "said" dirt time may be less instructive.

Good luck.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
IMO, school ball takes priority.

That said, a reasonable school ball coach is going to allow his/her travel players to miss practices occasionally for other opportunities to get better. But that school coach has every right to make that decision for his/her players. I'm a travel coach, and I don't believe in encroaching into the school ball season except in ways that are mutually beneficial. School ball is good for them.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Since almost all school rules will dismiss you for skipping school ball to play travel, this question is moot.

Curious as to how prevalent these rules are. I don't doubt you are correct about the nation as a whole, but I'm not aware of those rules in Georgia. They don't exist for the middle school league that my daughter plays, and they don't apply to high school teams at all in any sport. Interesting that states might differ on this. In Georgia, fastpitch is a fall sport. That might make Georgia unusual. But again, there are no restrictions on any sport in Georgia that I'm aware of.

Dec 7, 2011
There are no organized competitions allowed during HS here in WI. Just can't do it or a heavy penalty can be had.

We recently had a local school get ejected out of the play-offs for basketball because a player of theirs decided to get into a league game as a fill-in.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Rules may be different, if they exist at all, in every each state/metro/region, maybe even down to district level, so presumptions should probably be more specific.

No HS association can stop a player from participating outside of the school. Please note, I didn't say there would not be ramifications for such defiance, but it is what it is. Restrictive rules are self-serving to the HS coaches and likely provide minimal to no advantage for those players striving to take the next step. And if a player can meet the game and practice schedule, it is absolutely wrong and maybe even unlawful, to keep them from practicing or playing with another team.

Unfortunately, there are occasions when restrictive rules may force a player to make a choice and in that may not be a good thing for any parties involved.

JMO

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Ohio and Arizona, IIRC, are the only states to ban it completely during HS season.

I'm confused. I thought you were saying that most all states banned members of school teams from practicing or playing w/ travel teams during the school season. What is it that Ohio and Arizona ban completely?

However, if you can't make all the games and practices because you want to play travel, then go play travel and don't sign up for school team. It is that easy of a decision.

I don't think it needs to be that inflexible. In Georgia, for example, practices may begin Aug. 1, when ASA nationals are going on. Can't a girl miss the first two practices to play at nationals?

I don't disagree w/ you in principle. The school ball team should be the one granting any rare exceptions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole