more drills please:)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
You might be getting more frustrated than her. I remember rdbass going through this. I will tell you my approach. I worked only with 18u and college girls in the US, but in Europe on occasion I am asked to do clinics for younger kids because coaching is scarce, and the coaches need to learn. So I typically do what I did in the US, and have each coach bring a max of 3-4 girls including a pitcher/catcher depending on space. I teach simple hitting skills appropriate to that age group. You can't teach this type of swing to an 8 year old.

As kids grow, and mature physically, they start to develop body awareness; or bio-mechanical awareness. If you daughter swings, can she tell you what her back foot did? At some age level they will be able to tell you. They will be able not only to fix what they can see, but what they can't see. This typically happens around 16-18 years of age. Tall lanky girls often take a year or two more. The same holds for pitching. Sometimes these girls can throw harder and some say they are relying too much on their fastball. Well perhaps so, but also they also might be behind in their capacity to develop those other pitches do to that physical awareness.

I think you should consider who is helping whom, and if you are frustrated, take a break. If she gets frustrated, take a break. It is better to practice 10 times correctly than 100 times half-way to put it politely, as they say. Now I am gong to go back and look up her age and edit this probably :)

ok, so I get the feeling she is at least 15. There are some good suggestions here, and one I never thought of that is really good! The bare-foot toe touch. I wouldn't do it on live hitting, just a "motion" drill, but a great idea. The bucket drill is great. But make sure she touches with force, push-back, at toe-touch, and the heel is up. I never teach a kid to keep the front foot at 90 degrees because it torques the knee and honestly can cause stress or injury. It should come down at 45 degrees. I am not sure what everyone is implying, because like me, my typing makes sense in my own head and may seem like Russian to someone else. Da Svedanya!

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
iMlearning,
IMHO it is hard to work on a new swing during the season.It's also hard to work on all parts of a swing at the same time.Work on the bottom half first.When I posted video of my DD I didn't let her read the post.The comments were hard for me to read she didn't need to read them.Beleive me I know how you feel.My DD swing was so bad I was going to sell all her bats lol.It will all fall into place.Your DD has to realize,and you also,when you slow a video down and go frame by frame most swings look bad.Doesn't mean she won't hit the ball.One day it will click for her and she will get her swing.What I did was work a little on drills.We would do high tee,reverse had drill ect..Then at the end of the session I would just pitch to her as fast as I could.I figure no matter how bad or ugly the swing was she would figure out how to hit the ball.Along the way I would make suggestions like lock the front leg out keep hands above ball nice tilt ect...I felt that at least she would make contact at the plate and put the ball in play.If I video the swings I'm sure they may not match up to the better swings posted on here.This weekend at a small local tourney DD only played 2 games( had swim meet in the am) went 4 for 6 with a walk.The 2 outs were line drives.She hit a 3 run homerun,not over the fence,but a nice right center gap.I was so happy I had tears in my eyes.If I video that at bat I'm sure I and everyone else could pick it apart.That's why we keep practicing and I keep learning.You and your DD will get it.Sorry for long post.

Oct 10, 2011
And if we watched a video of her, is she setting her weight hard against the ball of her front foot at 90 degrees, or is she opening her foot toward the pitcher and setting the heal down during the stretch phase before any weight shift? Just curious.

I apologize as this is a little redundant after reading the rest of the posts, but didn't see a response.
Steve, tried to PM you but it said your box was full.

Oct 10, 2011
My DD will be turning 14 in a couple weeks. I'm definately the one who gets frustrated but my wife says you can't tell that I am, so at least that's good. One of her coaches gets really upset with her and constantly says "why don't you get it?" He will no longer be coaching from what I hear because of so many complaints about his anger issues. He said the only thing that gets her by is her hand speed and strength. She has been fortunate to have those traits and is a really hard worker. She just got back from a 7:30 speed and agility class and said, "let's go to the park." I'll take a deep breath and enjoy the time together.
Thanks for this helpful post Steve. I have a video of her bare foot I can P.M. you and anyone else helping.
I have to get some work done:)

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
iMlearning,
If I video that at bat I'm sure I and everyone else could pick it apart.That's why we keep practicing and I keep learning.

That is part of the problem here rdbass. We teach proper mechanics to achieve what is possible in a given situation, but seldom achieved. There are a small percentage of perfect swings in college softball, and some awful swings when fooled. However, the good swings are not by accident! And that is why we work toward that goal. I have seen some ridiculous criticisms here at times. And too often it is about one-upping the other posters rather than helping.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Ok, I am fixing my box. I've been away a long time.

Well some things you can't teach are hand speed and strength. That is a head start! Often when coaches are frustrated it is because they are poor communicators or are BS'ing their way through a situation.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
iMlearning,
IMHO it is hard to work on a new swing during the season.It's also hard to work on all parts of a swing at the same time.Work on the bottom half first.When I posted video of my DD I didn't let her read the post.The comments were hard for me to read she didn't need to read them.Beleive me I know how you feel.My DD swing was so bad I was going to sell all her bats lol.It will all fall into place.Your DD has to realize,and you also,when you slow a video down and go frame by frame most swings look bad.Doesn't mean she won't hit the ball.One day it will click for her and she will get her swing.What I did was work a little on drills.We would do high tee,reverse had drill ect..Then at the end of the session I would just pitch to her as fast as I could.I figure no matter how bad or ugly the swing was she would figure out how to hit the ball.Along the way I would make suggestions like lock the front leg out keep hands above ball nice tilt ect...I felt that at least she would make contact at the plate and put the ball in play.If I video the swings I'm sure they may not match up to the better swings posted on here.This weekend at a small local tourney DD only played 2 games( had swim meet in the am) went 4 for 6 with a walk.The 2 outs were line drives.She hit a 3 run homerun,not over the fence,but a nice right center gap.I was so happy I had tears in my eyes.If I video that at bat I'm sure I and everyone else could pick it apart.That's why we keep practicing and I keep learning.You and your DD will get it.Sorry for long post.
Congrats on the homerun! I've only seen a few homeruns this year at all of the games I've been to.
Regarding the posts on her swing etc... she saw it when I accidently left it on the screen one day. Whoops:)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
IMO the focus on keeping the front side closed ‘to and through’ contact is misguided … and potentially detrimental to the swing.

There are some that believe that if a drill like this is burnt into muscle memory, then it can eliminate an important natural synchronization in the swing.

In many cases a direct focus on the stride can negatively impact one’s swing. The stride, IMO anyway, should be treated as a ‘result’ of proper loading actions.

If one understands the swing from a perspective of the ‘body being coiled’, then the closure of the front foot will be intact as one ‘approaches’ the planting of the front heel … but not generally through the planting of the front heel. There is a lot to be said for teaching a spring-like effect as the hands load rearward. We coil back, while going forward … and in the process create a spring like effect from which to throw from … and for some, the swing can be viewed as the body being coiled … and for those of that view-point, the focus of the front foot need not be taught, but instead observed as an indicator.

If the focus was on the importance of body coil, then one will generally see the closure of the front foot towards ‘front foot touch down’, but not necessarily through ‘front foot touch down’.

Cues such as “show the pitcher the back pocket”, “forward-by-coiling” … or simply performing a throw of the barrel with the understanding of ‘body coil’ … will give the correct ‘result’.

IMO the front foot action people are observing here should be treated more as a coaching tool to be observed, than something that a hitter should directly focus on.

29b0k6u.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Just tell her the posters care and want to help her progress.The posters aren't trying to be mean just helpfull.I know it's hard to hear negative comments.Believe me I thought my DD swing was good,untill I posted video and the kind people on this forum pointed out what was wrong with her swing.Thank God I found this site and learned what a good swing looks like and how hopefully coach it to my DD.All I do is talk hitting to anyone who cares to listen.Sometimes even if they don't. I'm sure like my DD, your DD wants to play high school ball.The good posters on this site will help your DD accomplish her goals.If they didn't care they wouldn't reply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi