More DP/flex sub questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
Please be gentle - my knowledge of how to use DP/flex is as simplistic as it gets.

Is the DP the 'DP' for an entire game? Or can a bench player sub in as an offense-only player for the original DP, which, would make the new player the new DP?

Scenario 1: Flex comes in to run for DP.

Question: To my knowledge, this is a substitution, meaning the DP is now out of the game. If I want to bring the DP back into the game on offense, can she come in for any player other than the flex in the batting lineup? Or can she re-enter only in the spot she previously vacated in the lineup?

Jun 11, 2012
California
In your scenario, the DP has left the game, with one re-entry permitted back into her original batting position. Just like a regular substitution for any other position.

Now, there's no need to limit your substitution to the Flex, though. If you have a better runner than the Flex on the bench, you may want to use her in late in the game situations when you need the run.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Please be gentle - my knowledge of how to use DP/flex is as simplistic as it gets.

Is the DP the 'DP' for an entire game? Or can a bench player sub in as an offense-only player for the original DP, which, would make the new player the new DP?

Scenario 1: Flex comes in to run for DP.

Question: To my knowledge, this is a substitution, meaning the DP is now out of the game. If I want to bring the DP back into the game on offense, can she come in for any player other than the flex in the batting lineup? Or can she re-enter only in the spot she previously vacated in the lineup?

What you need to remember is that both the DP and the Flex are part of the official batting lineup, even though the Flex is in batting position 10 and normally will not bat. Therefore, by definition the Flex is NOT a sub - she is a starter. You can put in the Flex as a runner for the DP anytime and it is NOT counted as a formal substitution - however, you do need to make sure that the PU knows you have not formally substituted the Flex for the DP (thereby changing the batting lineup from 10 to 9) and that your batting lineup remains at 10 players (9 starters + Flex).

If you have the Flex bat for the DP, then you have officially substituted the Flex for the DP and can now re-enter the DP once without having to permanently replace her with the Flex. The DP MUST re-enter the game in the SAME batting order position in which she started the game - upon which the Flex moves back to batting position 10.

As with any starter, you can substitute a non-starter for your original DP or Flex and the normal substitution rules apply.

Jun 22, 2008
If the flex replaces.the dp as a runner it is a formal substitution for the dp and the dp has left the game. As with any substitution it must be reported to the umpire. The only changes that do not need to be reported is when the dp is playing defense for a player other than the flex.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Therefore, by definition the Flex is NOT a sub - she is a starter. You can put in the Flex as a runner for the DP anytime and it is NOT counted as a formal substitution

That seems semantic hair-splitting. Maybe this is not a "formal substitution", but for the DP the effect is the same as that of a substitution. The link you provided describes this as a "half-substition", and says

the DP is removed from the game, and the substitute re-entry rules apply to the DP. If the DP re-enters, she will re-assume her original position in the batting order, and the lineup will go from 9 to 10, and the DP will have used up her re-entry rights. [...] This move has not affected the Flex’s starter / substitution / re-entry status in any way.

So for all practical purposes, it counts as a substitution for the DP, but not for the Flex. And you can not do this "anytime", you can run for the DP only twice, because then the DP is out of the game for good.

Jun 22, 2008
Not true. The dp/flex is never eliminated at any time during the game. Having the flex bat or run for the same dp twice would eliminate that particular dp fro reentry however any available substitute can assume the dp position in the batting order and the dp position is still part of the lneup

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
That seems semantic hair-splitting. Maybe this is not a "formal substitution", but for the DP the effect is the same as that of a substitution. The link you provided describes this as a "half-substition", and says

Not really hair-splitting. It does not meet the definition of a "substitute", so I try to just not use the term, half or otherwise. No doubt it is a convenient term, but you can see how it confuses some. Part of that issue involves the fact that you may enter as many substitutes for the DP or FLEX positions as you have available

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild