Mookie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
Maybe my eyes are deceiving me.

When is launch, before the front toe/heel plants? I think he rotated into footplant.
The legs are committed on every pitch. Sometimes the hips/torso will have to begin launch earlier due to the load/stride action a hitter has. Josh Donaldson opens hips early. His load/stride mechanism causes him to lose a little time, so he has to begin rotation earlier than a player with less load/stride action

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The legs are committed on every pitch. Sometimes the hips/torso will have to begin launch due depending on how much load/stride action a hitter has. Josh Donaldson opens hips early. His load/stride mechanism causes him to lose a little time, so he has to begin rotation rotation prior to a player with less load/stride action

I think that is a problem I’m having, trying to load and then start the lower body/hips.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The legs are committed on every pitch. Sometimes the hips/torso will have to begin launch due depending on how much load/stride action a hitter has. Josh Donaldson opens hips early. His load/stride mechanism causes him to lose a little time, so he has to begin rotation rotation prior to a player with less load/stride action
Wow! Bingo! DIfferent hitters load tighter and looser. No right or wrong.

Jul 29, 2013
Yeah, close to being closed at foot plant. I look at toe touch as being the launch position, although it can happen a little sooner or later.

With all this talk about RHE, I’m wondering if the pelvis just opens to facilitate the torso/core. And perhaps you don’t need to rotate the hips.
Maybe we should stop saying rotate the hips and instead clarify.....rotate the femur in the hip sockets, or turn the pelvis.
So are you saying there's no need to rotate the femurs but turn the pelvis instead? Is that even possible? Wait, maybe the obliques turn the lower half in its entirety?

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Is this like where I show you a picture of the Earth from space showing it too be round, and you still insist it's flat?

giphy.gif
That back leg is especially closed at the finish. I say send him some stills but he doesn't believe in stills. Probably doesn't believe in slow motion now either.

Feb 25, 2020
That back leg is especially closed at the finish. I say send him some stills but he doesn't believe in stills. Probably doesn't believe in slow motion now either.

You can really see the rear pinky toe stopping his hips in this gif. Violent car crash...might be some big toe involvement there as well...

Jul 29, 2013
You can really see the rear pinky toe stopping his hips in this gif. Violent car crash...might be some big toe involvement there as well...
Come on "Bonehead" that pinky toe is the all important power source of the swing. Capable of stopping even Superman dead in his tracks. All the hofers use it. They all anchor their back leg with pinky toes to stop hip rotation so the obliques can fire. The oblique muscles are directly connected by neuromuscular thingys to the pinky toe .....they work in concert, tight yet loose, eccentrically contracting the swing through contact.
Did you know they anchor ocean liners with pinky toes?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Think about the back leg not losing ground or space. Think about the tension against the turn that that creates. It’s your ‘late bat speed’ you like so much aka hip extension. It’s how it’s done. The hips just react. Otherwise they just spin or slide.

1590676294599.gif

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
Basically I’ve been looking at to many hitters staying back. Looking at my old swing and looking at Mookie shows there is more than one way. We are both moving the pelvis forward without shifting the weight to far forward. Back foot doesn’t skip forward. Perhaps that is my problem, trying to force a movement pattern. Compared to my natural pattern.

More testing. 😎
What's moving Pena's hip?
SXBmQgn.gif

Rhetorical question, just for testing purposes, no need to answer...there's a hint over here if you need one. 🙂

EDIT: Or you can try this as well for some additional "testing" purposes if your curiosity happens to take you there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom