Moneyball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
My wife comes home Fri night after a movie and says, "Hey there's another movie we can go see together."

What is it I ask?

Wife, "I think Dirtball"

I was watching the entertaining Mizzwho vs. Az. football game so I just leave it at that and don't follow up with.....what???

Sunday I find a book on the bed called....Moneyball.

I ask if that's the movie and she says yes.

I told her I already had the book but it's definately a movie I want to see.

Just an FYI, the book is something Patrick Murphy recommended a few years ago at a clinic and it is a very good read.

I'm hoping the movie will be the same.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
My wife comes home Fri night after a movie and says, "Hey there's another movie we can go see together."

What is it I ask?

Wife, "I think Dirtball"

I was watching the entertaining Mizzwho vs. Az. football game so I just leave it at that and don't follow up with.....what???

Sunday I find a book on the bed called....Moneyball.

I ask if that's the movie and she says yes.

I told her I already had the book but it's definately a movie I want to see.

Just an FYI, the book is something Patrick Murphy recommended a few years ago at a clinic and it is a very good read.

I'm hoping the movie will be the same.

Your wife is awesome, but you'd better hope she doesn't take a shining to the "Greek God of Walks"

Dec 19, 2008
I don't know what to think about ZOU. Franklin is discouraging. Where's our #10 ranked defense? And freezing our kicker? Uncharacteristic of Pinkel.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Moneyball is a good book if you have any interest in how the A's built a winning team despite lower payrolls and revenues, though it may be a bit dated now. It did show how the A's at the time were ahead of the curve in using advanced statistics. I loved the chapter about how many runs they figured Johnny Damon saved in CF, nothing like UZR (if you are into baseball sabemetrics) was readlly available at the time and I found it facinating how they broke it out.

Michael Lewis is also a very good writer so it was quick enjoyable read.

I'll probably wait for the DVD to come out but I am looking forward to eventually seeing moneyball the movie.

Oct 12, 2009
Moneyball opened my eyes to the importance of on base percentage and changed how I built my line-ups. I stopped focusing on AVG and started focusing on OBP. One year my lead-off guy had maybe 5 hits all year. However, he led off because he usually drew 2 BBs and/or HBPs per game.

If I had been managing by AVG, this kid would have hit last and it would have cost me 1 to 2 runs per game.

As I tell my kids, "I don't care HOW you get on base. Just get on base."

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I also read Moneyball a few years ago on the recommendation of a friend, and found it fascinating as well. It also changed my thinking in some areas (although I will admit I am still a fan of stolen bases).

Definitely looking forward to the movie. It looks like they took an appropriately lighthearted approach to it.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
For those wanting something a little meatier about the utility and history of BB stats, check out Alan Schwarz's The Numbers Game: Baseball's lifelong fascination with statistics Unless you're a complete stats/math geek, its best read a chapter at a time.

Sep 3, 2009
I don't know what to think about ZOU. Franklin is discouraging. Where's our #10 ranked defense? And freezing our kicker? Uncharacteristic of Pinkel.

Pinkel said that he intentionally did that; was trying to draw a particular ASU player off, who didn't seem to draw the refs eye.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321