Monday brag thread?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
What about having a Monday thread where we can post little brags from the weekend? Kinda like the what are you doing this weekend thread.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
I like it! DD's HS team went 2-3 for the weekend - won by 1, lost by 2 and we run ruled the third team, all non conference games. DD had three great games behind the plate, catching for 20 innings in less that 24 hours. Went 5-8 with 4 singles, a double and 5 RBIs. The last team's pitcher knew DD from travel ball (they played together for 3 years and are good friends) and wouldn't pitch to her. Walked her 4 times and the only reason she didn't walk her the 5th time was because DD was tired of getting walked, reached across the plate to hit a ball that was way outside and got a single. Scaredy cats!

Jun 12, 2015
Are her legs sore today? Catching looks so exhausting to me! Fun, but really tiring.

We played in the Carrollton Classic this weekend, one of only 2 06 teams there. They definitely held their own against some tough teams. We lost to the 05 Vipers and the 05 Force Elite by only 1 run. My DD hit her first ever 10U homerun (she of course pointed out it was because of an error and not a "real" homerun but I say WHATEVER ;)). She pitched a ton, and she is looking goooood in the circle these days. We didn't even come close to making the semi-finals but it was an awesome weekend and honestly, 7 games was plenty! We're taking a couple of days off from everything and letting her rest her arm.

Sep 29, 2014
I like this idea too...although given HS season, we only play a couple weekends, it might be more of a weekly wrap up. Well DD got her wish and is now officially the Captain of our HS JV team (both the JV coach and her were happy since varsity probably would have meant just getting a front row seat to watch the game from the dugout), she is the only junior and she actually likes leading the team of mostly freshman and a few sophomores, several of these girls are varsity caliber but given the numbers, seven returning starting seniors it was not in the cards I don't think there are actually any freshman (maybe one) on varsity this year. The team is still just scrimmaging first game was a 12-12 tie she scored a couple runs and got a couple RBIs, played first and batted clean up; our catcher pulled something so that meant Miss Utility got to catch the last inning as well. The thing that impressed me the most though was that the coach had to move a few players around as he started thinking about it Jessi gave him a funny look, so he asked her what she thought and the coach went with her input; first ball is hard hit right to the player she recommended and the girl makes the play. A few days later the game was basically a walk in the park run ruled them 14-0 another couple hits and runs scored; funny thing was after a couple innings she asked me to go check out the varsity game...reason being if varsity girls lose the JV does not get to do much celebrating on the ride back, unfortunately varsity lost so it was a quiet bus ride home. No practice today since thanks to living in New England it's snowing and there is two to three inches of snow on the ground....I miss Texas :(

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Glass half full version:

DD 3 had a concussion Friday, but it turned out to be a mild concussion. She had some symptoms Saturday, very few on Sunday. She begged me to let her go to school half a day, but I didn't let her. I want her to have a day without symptoms first. Her brain is more important than middle school.

The brag part: DD 3 really wants to get back to school.

My dog seemed to injure himself on Saturday, and couldn't walk. DD 1 called, and was in tears. All the vets were closed, so we had to pay the extra money to take him to the animal hospital. DD 1 and DD 2 carried him to the car, and DW drove to the hospital. Turns out it's just an old dog hurting his paw, but nothing broken. Vet offered pain meds, but our dog has a very delicate digestive system, and he would constantly throw up with the meds. So, no meds for the poor doggy.

The brag part: DD 1 and DD 2 showed a great deal of compassion for the poor doggy. DD 1 took charge of the situation, which shows some maturity.

Hey, with DD 3 out of commission, her first tournament in mid-May, and DS' first spring rowing race this coming Saturday, we take what we can get.

Jun 12, 2015
Aww, poor dog. We have an old lady dog who's really starting to have trouble with the stairs. Fortunately she's kind of small. When our old doberman started struggling with stairs it was really difficult. He was so huge, I couldn't carry him out myself. Hope both dog and concussed child feel better ASAP.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Good idea kind of a follow up to the Friday Check in....

Older DD played for first time after being in a boot recovering from an ankle injury. She stank at the plate and pitched like crap. The brag is that even while pitching like crap she threw a 1 hit shutout.

Lil DD just switched teams, her team had a practice schedule that was so heavy that we had no time to work on her individual skills. It was a hard decision as she loved the team but it was one of those necessary things to do to keep her on the right development track. She went back to the team she started out on, actually it is more of an ORG than a team since while they have excellent coaching, they do not have a full squad of 12u players. So my 11 year old had to play 14U yesterday. she hit really well, did a great job behind the plate and just killed her 14U debut, she was so thrilled.

As luck would have it, both girls were at the same friendly playing 14U but sadly did not play each other. Little DDs team beat the only team older DDs team lost to, so there was a little smack talk on the car ride home. Fun day at the fields.

Dec 27, 2014
DD's first tourney of the year is still several weeks away but her 12u rec team had their first game on Saturday. She pitched pretty well but I was more proud of her demeanor in the circle. Her team has a few travel players and the rest are pretty new to 12u, or even 10u play. The team we played has 8 travel players. The first few innings there were quite a few defensive lapses that would extend the inning, over and over :). DD never got frustrated, just continued to pitch. At one point, after a series of misplays, DD called the infield to the circle and gave a little pep talk finishing with mitt bumps to all the players. DD is 10, the only 2005 on the team. The rest are 2004, 2003's and big, a good head taller than 5' DD. Really good kids, but most put the mitts away in June and pick them up in March. The activity level seemed to pick up with better attention to backups and where the actual ball was the last few innings. The game ended in a tie. Lots of work to do, but I think they are on their way to being a team. :)

DD had her usual K's but was most proud of a mammoth pop up she caught from the other teams strongest hitter. She has never had a real pop up like this before, just waiting, and waiting, for it to come down. Lol.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1