Model swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

T

theaddition

or as TheAddition posted the result of her being late on the pitch causing her to push her arms out at contact.

I never said anything about whip in my post.
But I now see the confusion, I should have not included the first line of Oleary's quote.
BD

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
I think the take-away from all the techno mumbo-jumbo is that while there is a perfect way to hit a given pitch, the great hitters are the ones that manage to rise to the occasion and "make it work" repeatedly in the absence of the perfect at bat.

-W

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I think the take-away from all the techno mumbo-jumbo is that while there is a perfect way to hit a given pitch, the great hitters are the ones that manage to rise to the occasion and "make it work" repeatedly in the absence of the perfect at bat.

-W

W - I agree. I believe that the best hitters have a larger margin for error (or you could call it the ability to adjust) and can be successful with a less than perfect swing when they're fooled by a pitch. The swing in question may not be what she works on under controlled practice conditions, but obviously the underlying mechanics were solid enough to allow her to make an adjustment (albeit maybe not the ideal adjustment) and achieve a successfull outcome.

GM

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Howard old post on this. I think this is what you wanted.

The eversion I speak of is on the lead foot and landing more on the inside edge of the foot at toe touch allowing the hip to move until the sequence to swing is made. Landing enough on the inside edge of the foot that you could move the baby toe or wiggle it and wave to the pitcher. We try to get the hitter not to land up on all five toes or with a high heel as we think they spin out and the front side opens.

As to the back foot it the ground in the batters box allows it, we teach our hitters to dig out the big toe area so they can pre load or shift the weight more inside the back leg and this would be eversion also.

At the house I have a one inch thick piece of rubber with nails on the bottom and a tapper so the rubber does not move on the Astro turf.

We often have the hitter take off the shoes and socks so they can see and feel their feet and can see the discoloration from the pressure when the foot is properly positioned.

Most often when teaching balance we have the hitter remove the shoes and socks and I will put a piece of paper under their heel of their feet and they bend the waist first and soften the knees next.

The error most people make is after bending at the waist is they sit down and disconnect the core.

Simply put a bat under the under their butt cheeks and see if the hitter can feel like they are sitting on the bat and if they do it is incorrect.

Bend at the waist slightly and when softening the knees allow the knees to move more towards the toes and they will not be sitting on the bat and you will be able to pull the paper out from under the heels.

When the shoes are on they will feel the heel of their feet off of the shoes however the shoes will be on the ground.

You can test for it by pushing on their back and chest to see if they rock back and forth on their toes.

This balanced position helps in the load and toe touch phase in my opinion.

My martial arts training although limited can me the insight of thrust prior to rotation as a more efficient manner to initiate the hip movement.

Having eversion in the back foot sets up for me the feeling of being stronger from the back side to start the movement.

T

theaddition

Thanks for the post SBFAMILY.
IMO this is an important, but seldom covered area of hitting.
My experience up here in MN has been the subject matter of Howard's post is usually "glossed over" or not even covered at all.
It usually falls under the athletic posture portion of instruction. Usually covered like this:
"the hitter needs to be in an athletic position, knees bent, hands here . . . . . "
Where the weight/pressure is is seldom addressed.
Getting a young lady to feel the swing is "hyper-productive" (my made up word) IMO.

Thank you to you and Howard

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
99nndk.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG