Model Pitchers....Kinda

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
Coachmom, I know what you mean about the tears, I have 3 seniors that will be graduating this year, I started all of them when they were 9-11. I asked them to send me pictures of them playing ball all through the years for my Newsletter. I just got the first set the other day. At 5 she was standing cross legged with her hands on her knees, then one at 11 pitching , when I first taught her, then one at 13, and on of her standing on the mound with the eye black looking all mean, this year varsity. Yeah I nearly cried!

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
My DD is not a model pitcher by any stretch but this is a video I made years ago. (it's a little grainy) but shows some of the evolution of a young pitcher.
Ages 7-13
[video=vimeo;2708907]https://vimeo.com/2708907[/video]

Great video and one of the best Oingo Boingo songs ever as a soundtrack....great choice...

edit- I DID NOT CRY, I had an eyelash stuck in my eye.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
LOVE that song!!!

Funny stuff in that video...
Shorts with sliders sticking out.
Those long padded leg guards.
That female umpire wearing shorts and no protection.

Good times.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2014
Thanks for the replies and I do understand about the security concerns of posting young pitchers. It was just an idea I thought would help me(and maybe others) with teaching youger pitchers. Its hard comparing younger pitchers to elite level 18-25 year olds. I was interested in the drive, IR, and FS resistance from different perspectives (front, side, behind and an actual game pitch) with pitchers at various ages. I know one pitcher may not have all the desired mechanical qualities but this info would give me an idea of how much to expect from a certain age pitcher.

I'll just upload some video and have y'all critique.:rolleyes:

Thanks,
Smitty

Apr 12, 2013
Smitty, I have had and still have the need to see other pitchers to compare/learn/visualize and all of the benefits of watching a game film. I have taken to going to youtube and simply searching for :
2015 Pitcher
2016 Pitcher
2017 Pitcher
2018 Pitcher

Within the first page or two appears the videos that appear to be getting the most looks. This is a good sampling of talent across the country. A lot can be drawn from these videos.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I get what you're saying. It's something I try to point out on a regular basis, especially when it comes to hitting. It's important to remember that there is a huge difference in looking at a 28 year old high-level baseball player swinging a bat and a 12 year old boy or girl swinging a bat. Starting with 16 more years of experience.

It's unlikely that any of those high-level players looked like they do now, at whatever skill they're showing, when they were 12, or 14, or even 18. There's a reason 18-20 year old MLB stars are a rarity. In a softball context, there's also a difference between a 20 year old D1 college player who trains every danged day in a multi-million dollar facility and a 12 or 14 year old heading out to the local field to learn her craft.

You want to use the model pitchers, hitters, fielders, etc. as a baseline of where you're trying to get to. The closer young players can get to those mechanics the better off they'll be. But you also have to take all that with a grain of salt. Or maybe a whole shaker full. And remember to enjoy the journey as you go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors