MLB to ban home-plate collisions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
For those, like Dick Rose, who think running through a catcher holding the ball attempting to make a tag, I wonder how it would be accepted if the catcher just punched the runner in the face with the mitt and ball to protect himself?

I have little doubt that those players, including the baby who complained when Gene Garber shut down his hitting streak, would whine about how unfair it was for the defense to hit them before being hit by them.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I've waited a while to sort out my thoughts on this topic. As a life-long MLB fan, former college catcher, and father of a DD college catcher I have mixed emotions about home plate collisions. As a baseball fan, there's not a much more exciting play than a bang-bang home plate collision. As a former catcher, the "must slide" rule has been in place since my early Little League career. As such, I never have run over a catcher, but loved and was pretty effective at blocking sliding runners. During my catching career, I was spiked numerous times (only required stitches once) and run over twice by adult-sized players. Both times that I was run over, I had the ball in advance of contact, could tell that the runner likely wasn't going to slide, and had time to set up to protect myself. I held the ball each time, the runner was called out and ejected. Fortunately I'd been taught techniques on how to survive a collision by a former semi-pro early in my career and luckily came out at least equal in those 2 instances, despite having discarded my mask. As a father of a DD catcher who is now in college and already had one ACL replacement (damn volleyball), I am happy that plate collisions essentially are not allowed.

Concussions are not a new catching phenomena. What’s new is the recent public, TV, and MLB focus i.e., awareness, identification, and the potentially debilitating long-term effects. IMO, for each highly publicized Buster Posey Thiesmaneque consequence of a collision there are far more Mike Matheny early retirements. For this reason, I am in favor of MLB finding a way to better protect catchers.

PS - For those ignorant about the distinction, I can guarantee that you would understand the difference between contact on a tag play at a base that can’t be overslid versus a collision play at the plate, if you had experienced it yourself. Alternatively, volunteer to be a tackling dummy for the HS football team or take a look at either the Rose-Fosse collision posted earlier or the famous Bo Jackson-Brian Bosworth TD video.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I've waited a while to sort out my thoughts on this topic. As a life-long MLB fan, former college catcher, and father of a DD college catcher I have mixed emotions about home plate collisions. As a baseball fan, there's not a much more exciting play than a bang-bang home plate collision. As a former catcher, the "must slide" rule has been in place since my early Little League career.

Only one league I've ever heard of having a "must slide" rule and it was local CYO. But I don't think the real issue is the bang-bang plays, but the advancing runner who hurls his body and fists at a stationary catcher.

I think this is nothing more than the MLB owners protecting their investment, not necessarily trying to lead the way or improve the game.

Concussions is the real issue here and since most catchers remove their helmet this arguement to me doesn't hold weight. If i can run a catcher over i should be able to run over everyone. Collisions are unnecessary and should be avoided at all costs.

About two years ago, I started telling my catchers to keep their helmet ON.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Not sure if this is what you're getting at, but why not have the runner be out at the moment of contact with the glove, even if the ball is jarred loose? It would be the same rule as in football regarding ''ground can't cause a fumble.'' As soon as the runner makes contact with glove or ball, it's an out. Then the runner would have no reason to forcefully run into/over a fielder.

Speaking ASA. You are correct on this point. If the runner is tagged with the ball, or glove with ball in it, while in possession of the defender, the runner is out. Subsequent action or loss of possession is irrelevant to that point.

BTW, in some levels of football, the ground can cause a fumble ;)

Mar 26, 2013
I think this is nothing more than the MLB owners protecting their investment, not necessarily trying to lead the way or improve the game.
MLB can't lead when they're behind everyone else on this rule.

I agree it's about protecting their investment (i.e. players/contracts) and limiting their liability regarding concussions.

C.K

Mar 16, 2012
Daughter had 2 home plate collisions last year, one at a showcase and one at nationals both times with the ball. Both times she was waiting for them at the plate with the ball well in advance of them arriving, they we're blatant attempts to take her out which failed for them both. The first collision they both walked away from it the second one the runner was carried off the field and daughter warned of a ejection, what do you do when a runner makes a point to run you over??

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Daughter had 2 home plate collisions last year, one at a showcase and one at nationals both times with the ball. Both times she was waiting for them at the plate with the ball well in advance of them arriving, they we're blatant attempts to take her out which failed for them both. The first collision they both walked away from it the second one the runner was carried off the field and daughter warned of a ejection, what do you do when a runner makes a point to run you over??

When in possession of the ball, you do what you have to do to get the out and protect yourself, which is what it sounds like she did. Good for her!

Oct 7, 2013
New Jersey
The topic of concussions are huge in every sport right now..and I don't think it will be going anywhere for quite sometime (especially with the nfl lawsuit still hanging around). I think this new rule will help a lot, while still allowing the players to play. Some rules are made and it kind of takes away from the game, but I think this won't change much. They are still in talks about how it will happen, such as where the catchers are allowed to stand, what the runners are actually allowed to do and so on. But I think softball leagues will soon be following suit, once the official mlb rules get ironed out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd