MLB to ban home-plate collisions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Pending players approval.

Wonder if this will have an impact on softball.

Y! SPORTS

628x471.jpg

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I fully agree. But how will it be written as a rule?

Good question. Our umpires and rules makers here are better equipped than I to answer. How do you define a collision? (For one thing, collision is a misnomer when we're talking home-plate collisions, because a collision is the meeting of two moving objects.)

But you do have the challenge of determining what is a collision and what is merely contact in the attempt to avoid the tag, or contact that could not have been avoided.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
This goes back to a question I posed in the Rules Forum last year. If a catcher sets up to block the plate and does not have the ball, under what circumstances is that obstruction when there is a play at the plate? I got flamed for saying I do not teach my catchers to block the plate and to swipe tag. The reasoning was that MLB catchers block the plate (well, not anymore! :p). It's not worth it for me to lose a catcher if she gets her bell rung.

In terms of my base runners, the umpires on the forum did not really give me a clear answer other than to teach my runners to hook slide (which I do, but it alters their path, to the plate, so if the catcher does not have the ball, I want the obstruction call!).

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
ASA already addresses collisions. If it is a player with the ball, the runner is out and may be ejected. Without the ball, may be ejected. Unfortunately, too many umpires are afraid to take that action.

Issue with softball are all the baseball enthusiasts, including some umpires, that believe collisions are part of the game and will not make the call. Some of the reasons for justifications from coaches, parents and/or umpires for not making the call can be just amazing.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
This goes back to a question I posed in the Rules Forum last year. If a catcher sets up to block the plate and does not have the ball, under what circumstances is that obstruction when there is a play at the plate? I got flamed for saying I do not teach my catchers to block the plate and to swipe tag. The reasoning was that MLB catchers block the plate (well, not anymore! :p). It's not worth it for me to lose a catcher if she gets her bell rung.

It is OBS the moment the catcher presence hinders the runner. You cannot compare softball to MLB. Two different games with different philosophies.

In terms of my base runners, the umpires on the forum did not really give me a clear answer other than to teach my runners to hook slide (which I do, but it alters their path, to the plate, so if the catcher does not have the ball, I want the obstruction call!).

You are absolutely correct.

I believe the rule is a catcher can not block the plate without the ball ....with ball in glove ...no OBS with out ball OBS

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan