Missouri High Schools to require pitchers to wear masks.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
I'm good with this rule. At least there will be data to look at in a few years to determine its validity.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I was reminded again recently about why I am strongly in favor of masks for pitchers...

While waiting in the hole, I was talking with our starting pitcher for that game (also one of our team's most powerful hitters) about how pitchers should wear masks, and how I really wish she would wear one. Her complaint was that it wasn't comfortable. During her at bat following that conversation, she proceeded to square up a pitch and drive it straight to the face of the other team's pitcher. The ball got to her so fast that she never had a chance to put her glove up, or duck out of the way. Thankfully, she was wearing a mask, or it would have been catastrophic. As it was, the sunglasses she was wearing under the mask split open her eyebrow. She was taken to the hospital for stitches and concussion evaluation immediately.

The next inning, our pitcher wore her mask.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
You had that conversation with her while she was in the hole preparing to hit???

Yes. It was part of the conversation we were having regarding a few different things in the time leading up to her stepping out into the on deck circle.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Interesting approach.

Interesting how? Since I generally sit on a bucket in (or near) the dugout doorway, I talk to our in-the-hole batters pretty frequently. In this particular instance, the conversation was more about pitching than hitting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi