Mission Accomplished IMO.............

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
RB.........How can you miss the point and make the point in the same post???

The girls YOU SEE are the small percentage of kids who made it........And I mean SMALL PERCENTAGE.........

You've seen how many pitchers with very good mechanics over the age of 14........Can I seriously say 200??? 300???

Seems like a lot I know..........Do you realize that this is probably less then 1% overall of kids who WANT TO PITCH begining at ages 9-12?? Because the rest are not like YOUR DD..........OR MINE..........

The BEST experience you could have is to have a DD who is a natural.......Like my oldest was..........And then try to teach a 100's of kids to be JUST AS GOOD AS HER............

Until you do this.........You'll never know how important the knowledge is to an instructor..........

Respectfully..........

Ya I think ya nailed it BM. I am just being ignorant due to my long-tooth status AND with the fact that I never tried to PC too many students that didn't already have that natural "whip".

Thanks for treating me kindly with the challenge :)

Joe

Oct 20, 2009
Last night I was looking at some old video of pitchers I worked with years ago that in IMO had great mechanics. When viewing this they all displayed really good I/R. Of course I never realized what they where doing that separated them from others.
I always was looking for more knowledge attending every pitching seminar, Kemp, LSU, ect. I could find. They helped at the time, but the expertise I gained from this site makes me feel like the superman of pitching, or something to that effect. Lol
Now when the struggling HE pitcher shows up, ( like the walking dead, they keep coming ) its a quick explaination. Over and done. Since my warmup routine now includes boardmembers I/R drills this is icing on the cake.
It's like the days when you had to roll up the car windows, push button sure is easier. Keep it coming, power seats are next.
Kudos to BM, Rick Pauly and so many others.

Sep 10, 2013
6 months ago, DD left HE behind. although the road was rough at first, the benefits were many and there's no looking back.
kudos!

Jun 7, 2013
I want to, personally, thank BM, Mr. Hillhouse, Ken, Rick, etc. and the many people that contribute here and have,
greatly, added to my knowledge of fastpitch softball. Specifically concerning pitching, due to what I have learned
here I now feel that I know exactly what a good I/R pitching motion should be and how to instruct my daughters,
who both pitch, how to perfect and develop their skills. And I will add that they were both doing pretty well before,
now, hopefully, I can help them take it to the next level!

Cool Hand

Banned
Nov 12, 2013
How is Rita Lynn producing these D1 pitchers. She CLEARLY teaches stay behind the ball, HE style. I did hear that she is always learning herself, maybe she switched?

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Last winter we switched DD from HE to IR with great success. It got her noticed at summer camps due to so much movement onthe ball that she creates with the whip vs HE.

All the information when combed through is great on this site and has been very helpful to myself and my girls and is appreciated.

Someone noted Hillhouse contributes indirectly. Email him-hell answer and speak with you ;)

Feb 7, 2013
How is Rita Lynn producing these D1 pitchers. She CLEARLY teaches stay behind the ball, HE style. I did hear that she is always learning herself, maybe she switched?

Here's what typically happens. Some good pitchers will figure out how to get maximum velocity and good spin by using excellent IR arm whip either on there own and/or by experimenting with what works and doesn't work. They may come to RLG, and other PCs after already having pretty good arm whip mechanics so these instructors will focus on other areas of the pitching motion that don't involve the arm whip directly. So basically these pitchers do well in spite of these well known instructors not necessarily because of them and what they are teaching. If you are a pitching instructor seeing 100s of kids a year, you are bound to have a few who make it to a D1 program.

What I worry about is all of the younger, beginning pitchers who are taught HE and push the ball down the circle mechanics who never reach their potential or drop out of pitching because they are ineffective past the rec ball level.

Oct 22, 2009
What I worry about is all of the younger, beginning pitchers who are taught HE and push the ball down the circle mechanics who never reach their potential or drop out of pitching because they are ineffective past the rec ball level.

One or two things is going to happen, one, they are going to figure out how to get that whip, or two, drop out.

I'm glad I'm one of those instructors that gives the ones that are not all that naturally talented in figuring out things themselves a fighting chance.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
I use to think I knew something about pitching, then I found this forum and realized I knew and know nothing. I've read and reread, searched and researched. I've asked questions and they've been answered. I've been beaten and flogged by the IR gurus on this forum all for my own benefit. I now have a basic understanding on why some girls are as smooth as silk with the ball exploding out of their hands while others labor in an attempt to be a blur of motion with little to nothing to show for it in terms of speed, spin and movement. This information will give my pitchers an edge over the competition...this I have no doubt. Thank you Ken, PerfectC, Java, Rick and above all Boardmember. I'm betting you guys are helping as many PCs as DD.

Sep 10, 2013
Rita Lynn Gilman's Best of the Best

Yeah, Lacey Waldrop, excellent pitcher at FL State. She also taught the VA pitcher, whose name escapes me, in the top five or so in ERA in the nation a few years ago at U MD. And she has more in the pipeline. Thanks to Angela Tincher making VA a place to look at and RLG, the state is on the rise.
I again don't like the approach of selling gadgets (like the elbow straightener, yikes), but you can't argue with the success.

RLG's best of the best images look interesting. granted it's just a snapshot, but most of them are actually dragging the side of their pivot foot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish