Mission Accomplished IMO.............

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
Hey, is this like a "Thanks" drive?

Seriously,
Those threads and many of your posts since have helped me and and the kids I work with. I'll toot that horn! My hope is that your contributions help drive a revolution or information highway reform that helps rid the world of wrist flips, bowling and THE SCOURGE (HE.)

Thank you for your time, big werds and persistence,
Ken

Seriously, this is NOT a "thank me" thread. This is more of a "I'm just AMAZED at how far we've come since I first started posting in '09 and how I've been involved in driving that knowledge".........

The more I read, the more I realize there is more knowledge on this board about fastpitch pitching mechanics/theory then I would've ever imagined back then........

And then I read comments from certain posters that say "YOU DO NOT NEED THIS KNOWLEDGE". "Why are you even talking about it". "It won't make you any better any faster".........And they wonder why people respond to them negatively SO OFTEN........To them it's a DOGMA because they get HAMMERED SO OFTEN.........

And I watch how those people actually serve to DRIVE THE PASSION for those of us who know better............And I realize there actually is a place for those negative people........Because they bring out the BEST in those who know better........And it shows HOW MUCH WE KNOW..........And HOW MANY KNOW the truth..........

Dec 7, 2011
OK I am going to risk getting completely stoned by the IR disciples here in DFP world.

But then again I am sure the guy who said the earth was round was scorned pretty bad too :)

First I want to establish that I could be revealing continued ignorance to the whole IR "thing", again, but I just don't get the level of importance this topic gets here in DFP. IR and one specific PC are consistently spoken to as deities. NOT taking anything away from any one PC but really????

Back to my simple interpretations:

IR = Arm whip

OK,....great,.....good principle,....pitchers all do it from what I see,….many i bet without being "taught it". (even though I think I remember at the younger ages like 12U and below that some pitchers could have used a forced introduction to it to move them ahead faster).

Could it be that I am old and looking back from 18U on down the age brackets and most of you are in the lower age brackets looking up? Meaning that I see all pitchers doing the whip well so it’s just not a topic to speak of in my little microcosm? It could be that just by chance my DD just “naturally adopted” whip early on and that I never did see the badness of those younger age pitchers that suffered from non-whip motions.

Is it just me in this forum that doesn't understand the "press" that IR gets???

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
if this is going to be a thank you thread...duh....then Rick Pauley, JavaSource, Hillhouse and Ken B also get my wholehearted thanks. They all serve different roles for me an I have used them all more than they know.

Hillhouse doesn't give direct advice on here, but I did get a good video analysis from him and the videos out there are invaluable. Having someone who lived it is so valuable.
Rick is like the ultimate bucket dad. He did what we all are striving to do. He worked with his daughter and helped her become one of the best in the world.
Javasource- I don't know anything about him, but I assume he is a good PC out there somewhere and gives great technical breakdowns.

Ken- He will say that he doesn't belong with the rest, but he is the guy in the trenches, doing the daily work and giving encouraging, real world feedback on how all of this works.

I owe you all a debt that I have no intention of repaying. but I will tip one back in your honor....gulp gulp.

Left Hook

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
Lately..........As I've read the discussions..........I'm amazed at how much knowledge this bo
ard carries with it
..........I'm proud to be part of the reason.........

If you aren't being silly about it.. the truth is you ARE reason. You are defiantly the reason my daughter is only 9 years old and is headed down the path of an elite player. As much as I thought I studied pitching coming from baseball I probably learned more just by reading your sticky than I ever knew about baseball.

Last edited:

Left Hook

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
This isn't another one of those I won't be posting on here any more threads is it? And Hal is probably on the suicide hotline about now with all of this BM/IR love going on here... Lol

Jul 14, 2008
Could it be that I am old and looking back from 18U on down the age brackets and most of you are in the lower age brackets looking up? Meaning that I see all pitchers doing the whip well so it’s just not a topic to speak of in my little microcosm? It could be that just by chance my DD just “naturally adopted” whip early on and that I never did see the badness of those younger age pitchers that suffered from non-whip motions.

RB.........How can you miss the point and make the point in the same post???

The girls YOU SEE are the small percentage of kids who made it........And I mean SMALL PERCENTAGE.........

You've seen how many pitchers with very good mechanics over the age of 14........Can I seriously say 200??? 300???

Seems like a lot I know..........Do you realize that this is probably less then 1% overall of kids who WANT TO PITCH begining at ages 9-12?? Because the rest are not like YOUR DD..........OR MINE..........

The BEST experience you could have is to have a DD who is a natural.......Like my oldest was..........And then try to teach a 100's of kids to be JUST AS GOOD AS HER............

Until you do this.........You'll never know how important the knowledge is to an instructor..........

Respectfully..........

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location

I think you nailed it here.....When I watch older tournaments, 18U,16U I don't see any bowling. They all whip. When I watch the 12U-8U tourneys, I see a lot of stiff elbow bowling. I think the bowlers get naturally selected out of the equation. The value I get is that with this info present, I did not have to switch PCs or theories etc. I was able to apply the Hanson principle to top level pitchers, and find a board that taught what I was seeing, then find a PC that bought into it.

I said recently that I/R is a name, and the name means nada. It is the principles that matter. Being able to instruct young kids the correct way is going to pay off hugely in a few years. I check other boards and I do not think it is an accident why this one is the most popular and has a nationwide following. I think there is something special here and the I/R dogma/theory is a big part of it. I know that is what hooked me.

That said, there is a lot of bowing down to BM and the other Bigwigs, but this is fine. They have earned the respect. There are plenty of people that will keep them in check if they get too big for their britches or command us all to drink some koolaid. I like to think I will be the first to say WTF if BS starts flowing, but for where my dd is right now everything I read here is right on target.

Jul 14, 2008
This isn't another one of those I won't be posting on here any more threads is it? And Hal is probably on the suicide hotline about now with all of this BM/IR love going on here... Lol

LOL......Has nothing to do with not posting anymore.........I'm just amazed at how much knowledge there is here compared to back when I started.......

Feb 7, 2013
LOL......Has nothing to do with not posting anymore.........I'm just amazed at how much knowledge there is here compared to back when I started.......

With that said, it's too bad some of the "old timers" like Marc Hanson, Lhowser, and ifubuildit and others who were frequent contributers to the pitching threads no longer post here. Marc H in particular made me think about "what is a fastball" and the Hanson Principle is used daily by the members here.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I wish I had 1/10th the fastpitch knowledge that BM has. I also wish I could have met the man 10 years ago while I was adapting from BB pitching and "trying" to teach my own DD to pitch. He's one of those members that each time I see him post/reply, I click on to try to soak up all his valuable information. You ever come to the great state of Tennessee, a steak dinner is on me..........as long as you'll sit and talk ball a while. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch