Procrastinators or is it just the emotional last minute quick fix?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
Rad, are you a private instructor? My daughter's pitching coach mentioned last night that things get crazy in the summer because so many of the normal regulars are playing summer ball, and because of the open slots, most of the kids he sees during the week (50-60 lessons per week) are new. He teaches all aspects of softball and baseball play and does it full time, 6 days a week from 9 to 9 in the summer, so it's a diverse bunch and seems pretty exhausting. I'm gonna ask him Thursday if he gets a lot of what you're speaking of. I know a lot of people just come in for a lesson every few weeks, or when they feel rusty, I guess? That's never seemed to me like a good way to learn.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Rad, are you a private instructor? My daughter's pitching coach mentioned last night that things get crazy in the summer because so many of the normal regulars are playing summer ball, and because of the open slots, most of the kids he sees during the week (50-60 lessons per week) are new. He teaches all aspects of softball and baseball play and does it full time, 6 days a week from 9 to 9 in the summer, so it's a diverse bunch and seems pretty exhausting. I'm gonna ask him Thursday if he gets a lot of what you're speaking of. I know a lot of people just come in for a lesson every few weeks, or when they feel rusty, I guess? That's never seemed to me like a good way to learn.
Yes instructor. And yes generally have a consistent schedule of students throughout the year.

But over the years, *Definitely there are people that contact just as summer is starting and they are in travel ball.
Which is really a 2 month season.

I should also add have coaches that contact several months ahead of time to schedule and we do workouts. Those are people I know who are planning and creating dedication to a schedule of purpose. @Orange Socks comments are accurately described.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022
Yes instructor. And yes generally have a consistent schedule of students throughout the year.

But over the years, *Definitely there are people that contact just as summer is starting and they are in travel ball.
Which is really a 2 month season.

I should also add have coaches that contact several months ahead of time to schedule and we do workouts. Those are people I know who are planning and creating dedication to a schedule of purpose. @Orange Socks comments are accurately described.
Her guy doesn't do any group or on-site work. It's just funny because this time of year he says things like "Yeah, got a bunch of new ones now. It's getting harder to remember these names as I get older. And we're back to balls hitting the ceiling for a while until the regulars are back."

I was just thinking last night how far my kid has come since January 2021. So many throws into the ceiling and hitting the support beams, and basically anywhere else besides his glove. Even just learning to throw overhand correctly and catch. I think we've definitely got our money's worth.

Hats off to the instructors. It's gotta be hard to go from working with a 16U ace at 10am to an 8 year old at 11am.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Never fails, procrastinators...
Or maybe it's people looking for an emotional last minute quick fix ? 🤷‍♀️

Every year the exact week befor people start their first tournaments of the summer I get phone calls from coaches and parents saying need to help these players_____ _______

This catcher needs help with ________.
This hitter needs help with _______.
Can you help this player throw better.

Coaches asking can I give the parent your phone number? Coaches asking can you come out and work with our catchers. Parents calling about their kids performance level. Really??? going to try and fix that a couple days before your tournament??? 😔😬😒

So I'm bringing it up
As a BIG reminder 'a mission statement'
for anyone who will read this...

➡️ Planning and preparation starts months and months in advance of game time!!!!

➡️ Very little of the time is there an immediate Quick Fix that's going to stick in the games to come this weekend.

➡️ If you want to be a better softball player start ahead of time not at the last minute.

Phewwww had to say it! 😁

If there's anything to add to make this an even stronger reminder to prepare ahead of time please do! 😎👍
Some of us like to drive with the "check engine" light on. The engine still runs. It's just when the smoke comes pouring out we call the expert right before a summer vacation trip. :oops:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802