Minimum Scholarship Numbers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2013
Jad has it right but you have to look at the big picture. If a school ( just to make this easy ) lets say has a 100 full scholarships that is 50 for men and 50 for women. You have to remember that number gets divided by the number of women's sports. Basketball and Football always comes first then hockey ( why cause they make money ) Then you have softball, track, swimming, field hockey, cheerleading, lacrosse, bowling, tennis, soccer, volleyball, and my favorite the men's practice team for women basketball ( yes this is a NCAA sport that counts towards the women and yes they do give scholarships for this ) I know that I missed some. But you can now see how a coach could only have 4 scholarships. That is why it is important to have the grades so you can get academic money.

May 23, 2010
As others have said, go for the academic money. The OP says that his kid has good grades, and more importantly, good PSAT scores. Since she is a 2016, next year's PSAT scores count for NM. The NM scholarships are not so great, but many schools give good merit to kids who are NMFs. Don't know where the OP lives, but I think I'm sending my 2016 to live in WV next year - I'm pretty sure she'll make the NMSF cutoff for that state. There are some big DI schools that give great merit aid - go for that and you'll have the $$ for all four years. And fill out FAFSA - even if you don't need financial aid, there are some schools that require you to fill it out to qualify for merit aid.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Wow that's nuts Amy! Our local D1, not too shabby in the national basketball world:

The coed squad receives 12 full in-state tuition scholarships and All-Girl Squad members receive $1,000 scholarships. UM provides uniforms, travel expenses, practice clothes, warm-ups, camps costs, competition fees, and any other necessary equipment.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g