MHSAA Fastpitch Rules + Pitcher footwork question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 8, 2013
I am looking for a .pdf of the MHSAA (MI High School Athletic Association) rules. I am trying to get clarification of the rules relating to the pitcher's footwork (step back, feet on rubber, etc.). I had a minor disagreement with somebody about the actual rules pertaining to footwork issues and I want to be sure before I approach the subject in the future. Thanks for all of you help in advance.

Apr 13, 2013
No promises but I think this applies to you:

http://www.softballjournal.com/hssoftballrules2011.pdf

Once the hands are brought together and are in motion, the pitcher shall not take more than one step which must be forward, toward the batter and simultaneous with the delivery. Any step backward shall begin before the hands come together. The step backward may end before or after the hands come together.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I am looking for a .pdf of the MHSAA (MI High School Athletic Association) rules. I am trying to get clarification of the rules relating to the pitcher's footwork (step back, feet on rubber, etc.). I had a minor disagreement with somebody about the actual rules pertaining to footwork issues and I want to be sure before I approach the subject in the future. Thanks for all of you help in advance.

If you can tell us specifically what it is about the pitcher's footwork you have questions about, we can provide a better answer.

The MHSAA website has references to NFHS rules, so I'm assuming that Michigan follows NFHS rules for softball. There is also a Rules Review presentation on the site that has some sections on pitching, perhaps your concerns are addressed in that presentation.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2013
Thank you for your replies. The specific part of the rules that I was trying to figure out have to do with contact with the pitching rubber before the pitching motion and after the pitching motion begins. My view in the disagreement was that the pitcher had to have the pivot foot on top of the rubber and the stride foot in contact with the rubber before the pitching motion begins (like in USSSA). After reviewing the NFHS rules, it would appear that this is not the case. It would also appear that a step back is allowed if done prior to the hands coming together to start the pitching motion. Please let me know if this sounds like the correct interpretation.

Jun 22, 2008
A portion of the pivot foot has to be on top of the pitching plate in FED. The stride foot may start back, or the pitcher may step back prior to the hands coming together.

Apr 13, 2013
Again no promises but:

Prior to starting the delivery (pitch), the pitcher shall take a position with the pivot foot on or partially on the top surface of the pitcher’s plate and the non-pivot foot in contact with or behind the pitcher’s plate. Both feet must be on the ground within or partially within the 24-inch length of the pitcher’s plate.

Mar 8, 2013
Thanks for all of the help. This is my first year coaching a HS Freshman team and the MHSAA rules are a little bit different from the rec league that I came from. This seems odd that the high schools don't follow the college and Olympic rules for pitching.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1