Metro Atlanta Coaches/Parents: Question for you

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
She's Alpharetta Fire 03. We'll be at West Jackson Park in Hoschton. This is our first tourney this year, so I have no clue how we'll fare at this point.

Aug 26, 2015
There are 08 teams popping up to play 8u. My youngest was born in 2010 and I can't even imagine her playing in two years. DD#1 started travel part time in her first year of 8's but it seems so hard to imagine my baby is about to be able to play rec for the first time.

Believe it or not, I saw a posting for a 6U TB team on georgiacoachescorner not too long ago. Forget the name of them.

Nov 18, 2013
The quickest way for your DD to improve is to PLAY teams that are better than yours, not necessarily to BE the best team.....being the #1 pitcher on an A/B team that plays in A-level tournaments is better experience than being the #3 pitcher on an A-level team.

Agree with the first part. I’d agree in most cases on the second part, but it was different for DD. She started club ball at 14U as the #3 pitcher on what eventually became a top level A team. Having pitchers and other teammates of that caliber motivated her to work to reach their level. From 16U-18U she was the #1 on an A/B team and it just wasn’t the same. Great group of kids, but overall lacked the commitment level she had grown accustomed to. This past summer she subbed for an A team as the #3 pitcher. She actually chose to go back for the second and third tourney’s over playing with her other team because it was such a better atmosphere and a challenge facing that level of competition.

She still got plenty of innings on both A teams she was on though. If #1 and #2 split the circle time I’d agree completely with your statement.

Jun 12, 2015
She's Alpharetta Fire 03. We'll be at West Jackson Park in Hoschton. This is our first tourney this year, so I have no clue how we'll fare at this point.
Ah. We're in Conyers.

I saw the 6U TB post. My DD started playing at 5 and she loves everything about softball. We started travel in the second half of 8U. I can't imagine having started sooner. 4, 5 games in a day. It's a lot for a 5 or 6 year old.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Ah. We're in Conyers.

I saw the 6U TB post. My DD started playing at 5 and she loves everything about softball. We started travel in the second half of 8U. I can't imagine having started sooner. 4, 5 games in a day. It's a lot for a 5 or 6 year old.

We were still doing co-ed T-ball at the Methodist Church at age 5! Didn't even start rec until age 6. That is insanity IMHO.

Jun 12, 2015
I try not to judge. I've seen people say doing 8U travel is stupid and all about the parents, but we (including my DD) loved it. So I figure it's not up to me to decide when someone else's kid is ready. Still, it's hard to picture how that would work. Even if your 5 or 6 year old were ready for and wanting to play travel ball, are there really enough to form not just one team, but enough teams where you could have an actual tournament? I'm just not sure how that would work.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
If your 5 year old is just too good for rec ball I think the only option is a 6U travel ball team. I have seen the Ts they use in rec and they are far inferior to TB Ts. The only way for a player to develop into a well seasoned 8U player is to use TB Ts in 6U. And we all know 8U is when things get serious.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
If your 5 year old is just too good for rec ball I think the only option is a 6U travel ball team. I have seen the Ts they use in rec and they are far inferior to TB Ts. The only way for a player to develop into a well seasoned 8U player is to use TB Ts in 6U. And we all know 8U is when things get serious.

Not sure if you're being facetious or not (no emoticons), but how could you know if your 5-year old is too good for rec before she's ever played rec? Are there 3-4 year old rec leagues I missed somewhere along the way? :)

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Not sure if you're being facetious or not (no emoticons), but how could you know if your 5-year old is too good for rec before she's ever played rec? Are there 3-4 year old rec leagues I missed somewhere along the way? :)

It is easy to know if your 5 year old is too good for rec...if she is your kid then she is too good for rec. I don't know if there is 4U but there should be. How else can you get a girl ready for her 6U TB team is she doesn't play 4U rec? And we all know 6U is when things get serious.

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06