tryouts for teams you aren't considering. etiquette

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
@ Momo: Knowing you are not interested and still going to honor an obligation does not make much sense to me. As a coach, I know when we are speaking prior to a tryout that it is an interview of sorts. If after discussing it with your family/player the decision is not to come out it is okay. I am certainly okay with it if I am shown some amount of respect in the form of an email or call to say you have chosen a different path. That is honest, up front and reasonable. m2c
I appreciate the thoughts and understand what you're saying. As it turns out, the coaches I spoke with do want a chance to make a case for their teams. It could be that they are optimistic right now, but regardless of what happens, I believe they want you the parent to know who is out there for the future. Their position makes sense, too.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I appreciate the thoughts and understand what you're saying. As it turns out, the coaches I spoke with do want a chance to make a case for their teams. It could be that they are optimistic right now, but regardless of what happens, I believe they want you the parent to know who is out there for the future. Their position makes sense, too.

Cool. This is such a tough topic. Then again in life I am learning that if it is not something purposefully intended then don't waste your time. I.E. If you are happy the why go? But that does not make me right. I am just one who does not like to waste time as I have so little as a Husband, Dad, Employee, Coach and more. :)

Feb 3, 2011
Oh, I do get that, believe me. Time is too limited a resource to mess around, no question about it. With 4 tryouts in 2 days all over the area, it was the busiest of weekends.

We went and she ended up falling in love with the coach. He made a very strong case for his team and I liked him. She eventually chose a different program because of the stronger tournament schedule, but out of the 4 options, that team made her final 2 and put them on the radar for the future, and another player DD likes did choose to go with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi