tryouts for teams you aren't considering. etiquette

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
Prior to signing DD up for this tryout cycle, I contacted each prospective coach with a few questions. How many players are they looking for? What sort of tournament schedule will they play? etc. Now, the dilemma is that she has ruled out a few teams, but is already registered for their tryouts. She feels she is honoring her commitment by not no-showing those teams. Would you say I'm wrong in supporting her on this?

Honestly , as a coach , if you have no intentions of joining my team , I would just prefer you not show up for my tryouts.

Jul 26, 2010
Use it as an opportunity.

For the player, it's a great chance to see what else is out there, get in some additional practice in a competitive environment, and meet people.

For a coach, it's a great chance to showcase your and your staffs prowess and the quality of your organization. This alone will open doors and some players that might not have an intent to join the organization might have second thoughts and may come back at later times.

-W

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
Softball is a small world and you don't want to be know for attending try outs with no intention of playing for that team. There will come a time when your DD has here heart set on a team and if they don't take her seriously or even watch her then she won't make the team.

Jul 26, 2010
Softball is a small world and you don't want to be know for attending try outs with no intention of playing for that team. There will come a time when your DD has here heart set on a team and if they don't take her seriously or even watch her then she won't make the team.

I don't agree with this. I always enjoyed it when a great player attended my tryouts even though I knew they were not going to join. It helped push the other players. Tryouts are a competition, the top dog gets chased down.

Coaches will always leave the door open to an awesome player with a great attitude. Attending tryouts and not joining the team is not an insult. Tryouts run both ways.

Being in NorCal, you probably know that it's usually the same 100-200 kids that make the rounds every tryout season to all the top-tier teams, and you know that they're not all in the market for a new team. . .they just want to see what shade of green the grass is. The coaches don't really mind, because it IS a small world. Treat them right, show integrity, and those kids just may end up in your org. If the kid shows they're rotten fruit, then the coaches are happy to know they found out about the attitude/coachability/parent issues before a commitment was made.

-W

Feb 3, 2011
I have to agree with Starsnuffer. Just because a player and her family don't select your team or vice-versa when she's 10 does not mean she won't try out again and join you when she's 13. I had no problem with the coach who didn't want to see DD in August, but he does want to see her now and if she's what they're looking for, he'd like the chance to make a pitch for his program. We liked what we saw during the season, so I'm more than open to that conversation.

The NorCal softball community is pretty small when you think about it. While there were plenty of new 01 teams a year ago, there were relatively few 02 teams formed in the Sacramento area this year. I didn't personally know any 02 coaches who were leaving rec. One of my coach buddies decided to start an 01 team, but I saw that as a B team, so it wasn't for us. And then the other coach (02) I know went with an 03 coach who is loved and respected by everyone who knows him. I don't know if that would be a good fit either, even if there is a spot available. Although it means having to drive a distance to practices, I actually like the idea of her potentially playing for someone with whom we have no existing personal relationship. Not every parent would agree with me on that. Still, though, observing them coaching is 1 thing and it's important to gather that information, but there's a lot that comes from talking face-to-face with coaches at or after tryouts, too.

Apr 1, 2010
Yeah, it's crazy. I see so much of that here in our area. I wonder if the coaches are just saying that, just in case the ultimate stud SS shows up? So many tryout postings here say "all positions open", I don't even buy into it. I always contact a coach ahead of time and ask them flat out, you looking for this? I'm not going to bother going if they're not looking for my dd's position.

That's good advice, absdad! I was surprised by how many coaches (whose postings did not say so) admitted they were already set at catcher when I contacted them this summer. Of course, there were also several who wanted a catcher and were very happy to have DD come to their tryout. With so many tryout times conflicting in our area, it made a big difference in our plans to know where DD had a shot.

It seems to me that the best course is moderation. I don't think you should be completely indiscriminate about tryouts (and risk a bad reputation), but on the other hand, a girl needs to go to a few tryouts so that she's comfortable enough to perform well at them.

Jan 24, 2011
That's good advice, absdad! I was surprised by how many coaches (whose postings did not say so) admitted they were already set at catcher when I contacted them this summer. Of course, there were also several who wanted a catcher and were very happy to have DD come to their tryout. With so many tryout times conflicting in our area, it made a big difference in our plans to know where DD had a shot.

It seems to me that the best course is moderation. I don't think you should be completely indiscriminate about tryouts (and risk a bad reputation), but on the other hand, a girl needs to go to a few tryouts so that she's comfortable enough to perform well at them.

When I get contacted and asked about positions , my answer is always the same. Unless you are a pitcher or catcher , I am not looking for specific positions. I am looking for good players , then I determine their position based on the needs of the team.

Jul 28, 2008
A top program has a question in their Player Information sheet. It asks: "If offered a position today, are you ready to take it immediately?"

That pretty much weeds out some of those that are trying out in several places. Another tactic I have seen is the coach offers more spots to girls than they have positions to fill. He tells them all, it's a first come first serve. That way, you aren't going down to the alternative choices and having them tell you they already accepted a spot because they never heard from you because you were waiting on Lil' Susie to make up her mind and she chose to go back to her original team.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
Being in NorCal, you probably know that it's usually the same 100-200 kids that make the rounds every tryout season to all the top-tier teams, and you know that they're not all in the market for a new team. . .they just want to see what shade of green the grass is. The coaches don't really mind, because it IS a small world.
-W

To a degree yes, but most of those 100-200 are trying to break in to the top-tier teams and would take the offer on the spot. If you are on one of the top-tier teams you don't want to look disloyal by going to another try out. If you want to leave you call the coach and ask for a "private" try out.

If a player, in good faith, attends 5 try outs, of course she will have to say no to four. It's the "try out practice" that will earn you a bad rep. At least where I am.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi