tryouts for teams you aren't considering. etiquette

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
A top program has a question in their Player Information sheet. It asks: "If offered a position today, are you ready to take it immediately?"

I wonder what the point of that question is. Is this team going to rule you out if you say no? And why would they want players in general who know before the tryout that no matter what happens during the tryout that they will accept an invitation on the team?

The best answer would be, "It depends on what I see. I'm trying you out, too.''

Feb 3, 2011
A top program has a question in their Player Information sheet. It asks: "If offered a position today, are you ready to take it immediately?"

That pretty much weeds out some of those that are trying out in several places. Another tactic I have seen is the coach offers more spots to girls than they have positions to fill. He tells them all, it's a first come first serve. That way, you aren't going down to the alternative choices and having them tell you they already accepted a spot because they never heard from you because you were waiting on Lil' Susie to make up her mind and she chose to go back to her original team.
Once the offer is made, the average coach ought to give the player and her family some reasonable amount of time to give an answer. Naturally, what's reasonable to 1 coach may not be reasonable to another. By the same token, the player and her parents should provide a response in a timely manner. It does not matter how talented the player is.

There is a well-known program here that likes for families to commit on the spot and she does not try out for them until this weekend. We do not know what to expect from the others, but assuming she has multiple offers in hand, then a decision will need to be made by Sunday afternoon. If there are no other offers, then the decision has already been made. :)

With luck, she'll help form the core of a team that can grow together and compete well for a couple of years or more.

Jul 28, 2008
I wonder what the point of that question is. Is this team going to rule you out if you say no? And why would they want players in general who know before the tryout that no matter what happens during the tryout that they will accept an invitation on the team?

The best answer would be, "It depends on what I see. I'm trying you out, too.''

This is one of the top programs in the state. Their girls get recruited. If you're not ready to commit to them, they will pass you over and go to the next one who is ready. That's the point of the question. They really could care less if you are trying them out, because there is a line to get into their program.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
This is one of the top programs in the state. Their girls get recruited. If you're not ready to commit to them, they will pass you over and go to the next one who is ready. That's the point of the question. They really could care less if you are trying them out, because there is a line to get into their program.

That's been our experience....and unless your DD is a phenom your family has to have a good reputation.

Jul 26, 2010

It's not a binding contract. I always view that question more like, "If you found our organization to your liking, and a place where you believe you could excel and grow as a player, and we made you an offer today, would you be ready to accept?"

If it turns out to not be the case, you can still say no.

-W

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If you are going to go to a tryout, go to one of a team/organization that is stronger than your current team. You can also move up an age group to see how your DD 'stacks up' against some better competition. Going to the tryout of a weaker team is a waste of everyone's time......

May 17, 2012
It's not a binding contract. I always view that question more like, "If you found our organization to your liking, and a place where you believe you could excel and grow as a player, and we made you an offer today, would you be ready to accept?"

If it turns out to not be the case, you can still say no.

-W

Agreed it's not a binding contract. Unless they are collect a down payment the commitment doesn't mean a whole lot on your end.

Feb 3, 2011
There is no such 10u team in our area. With the exception of a couple in the Bay Area, programs with that cache in 10u only exist down in SoCal. They don't even need tryouts. They select. Up here, it's different. The parents of the stronger 10u players get to enjoy the courting dance while teams are being formed.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
@ Momo: Knowing you are not interested and still going to honor an obligation does not make much sense to me. As a coach, I know when we are speaking prior to a tryout that it is an interview of sorts. If after discussing it with your family/player the decision is not to come out it is okay. I am certainly okay with it if I am shown some amount of respect in the form of an email or call to say you have chosen a different path. That is honest, up front and reasonable. m2c

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi