Metal cleats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2010
Ontario, Canada
My DD (16u) is wanting her first pair of metal cleats and asking if she should go to a high top being she has recently had ankle injuries from volleyball and thinking they would provide more support. She is 5'11, plays the corners and unfortunately speed is not an asset for her so I am not concerned of a slightly heavier cleat slowing her down lol.

Thoughts? Recommendations on brand?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD likes the New Balance cleat in white. Seems to be holding up well and is light weight. The Mizuno Swift 9 spike is very light but the gage of the metal is too small and greatly contributes to how fast they wear down. Those are the only two brands DD has worn in metal.

DD suffered from multiple ankle injuries. (Mostly from BB because she didn't know to land on 2 feet) She wore braces and High Top sneakers and finally it was pointed out that by bracing up the ankle I was not allowing the surrounding muscle to strengthen. Good luck.

Mar 9, 2015
My DD wears the Mizuno metal cleats with pitching toe and has been for past couple years. Have never had any issues with metal cleats or how they held,up through the season. I like getting her a new pair of cleats every year for her support of her feet. We use the old pair for practices and new pair for games. It's also nice to have a backup pair. When she wore molded clears used to get the mid high spikes but if you look closely they are not that much higher so not sure how much extra support the offer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug