Metal Cleats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 18, 2014
I tried searching and was only able to find old threads that are probably not up to date with current rules. My 13 year old is a first year 14U third baseman, still growing like a weed and I have to get her new cleats. She is an above average fielder and baserunner, still struggles at the plate but hoping that will come with experience and training. She plays 8th grade school ball, little league juniors and is on a 14UB team.

She is in it for the long haul and I need to know your opinions both on the effectiveness and legality of steel cleats vs molded Any help is appreciated.

edit: we are in New Jersey

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
DD went to metals at 14 and loves them. She catches and plays infield. She plays softball 10 months a year and cleats usually last her about 6 months - but that is the same for TPU and metals. Make sure your DD stays off of the concrete as much as possible with metals - that is what really wears them down - slides for in between games helps that!

May 8, 2012
NJ
As i understand it in nj...LL no metal...middle school no metal, 14u travel metal ok. DD runs 2 pairs of cleats. Molded for LL, metal for HS V and travel. The metals are superior. Once they get into them, they dont want to go back to molded. Nj only just allowed the metal cleats in hs softball this season...i dont believe it applies to ms ball, which means molded only. Check with your coach or ad..i could be wrong on the ms decision.

Aug 18, 2014
DD went to metals at 14 and loves them. She catches and plays infield. She plays softball 10 months a year and cleats usually last her about 6 months - but that is the same for TPU and metals. Make sure your DD stays off of the concrete as much as possible with metals - that is what really wears them down - slides for in between games helps that!

So I take it no issue with them being allowed at 14U. i.e. ASA, Pony, USSSA etc all say OK?

May 5, 2014
Pacific Northwest
My oldest DD plays Juniors LL and had her first game two weeks ago and had to look this up in the rules. You can wear metal cleats in Juniors LL. The rule was recently changed to allow it, 2013 I think.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
14U was about the time my DD's feet stopped growing so buying her a new pair of cleats was more than a 6 month ROI. Once she starts wearing metal your DD will not want to go back to molded, but Amy from AZ can make great use of gently used molded cleats. Please consider donating them!

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
So I take it no issue with them being allowed at 14U. i.e. ASA, Pony, USSSA etc all say OK?

ASA allows them here in 14U. Not sure if that is national (though I believe it is). I would check with your state's resources. No middle school softball or LL here so I can't speak to that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi