Which cleats???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2019
My middle DD is needing new cleats...and she is catching 75% of her teams games this summer in the heat. She needs comfort and something with good ventilation. She is only 10 (but wears a women's 8 or 8.5), so no metal cleats? Catchershome.com says Mizuno 9 Spike Advanced Finch Elite is the best...anyone have experience with those? Suggestions?

Feb 14, 2019
My middle DD is needing new cleats...and she is catching 75% of her teams games this summer in the heat. She needs comfort and something with good ventilation. She is only 10 (but wears a women's 8 or 8.5), so no metal cleats? Catchershome.com says Mizuno 9 Spike Advanced Finch Elite is the best...anyone have experience with those? Suggestions?

My DD is 11, wears a women's 8 and loves the UA Glyde molded cleats. She thinks they're more comfortable than the New Balance molded she used to wear. She tried on a pair of the Mizuno and didn't care much for them in the store, but we don't have any real-game experience there.

Despite their light weight, the UA have proven to be very durable. Through 70 games this season with weekly practices (almost 50 innings pitching in those games) they're showing a little wear, but still have a lot of life left in them. You can often find them around $50, which is a steal. Hope this helps.

Oct 16, 2019
My DD is 11, wears a women's 8 and loves the UA Glyde molded cleats. She thinks they're more comfortable than the New Balance molded she used to wear. She tried on a pair of the Mizuno and didn't care much for them in the store, but we don't have any real-game experience there.

Despite their light weight, the UA have proven to be very durable. Through 70 games this season with weekly practices (almost 50 innings pitching in those games) they're showing a little wear, but still have a lot of life left in them. You can often find them around $50, which is a steal. Hope this helps.
Did they run true to size?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
At that age, New Balance cleats are not only comfortable but somewhat affordable. They run true to size also. I would stay away from Ringors until her feet stop growing then move to them with the pitching toe.

Jun 7, 2020
My dd used ua cleats. She liked the way they looked. She hated how they made her feet feel. Her feet always hurt from wearing them. They were proper size and fit. Just not much cushioning. We had to get her insoles to help her feet. My dd plays basketball as well and says her feet have never hurt so bad from a pair of shoes.
If you go to the store and look at ua cleats pull out the insoles and see for yourself just how thick they are.

Jun 7, 2020
My dd now uses her nb cleats. She says they feel good but had a hole from pitching in them after 2 or 3 tournaments.

Feb 25, 2020
Is she complaining of foot pain or discomfort? Might be a tangent here but it could help some...

One thing to remember is womens shoes are a standard "B" width and a womens wide is "D" width. Men's are standard "D" and men's wide are a "2E". So a womens wide is a men's standard width. If you want to use "men's" cleats Add/subtract 1.5 sizes from mens to womens(a 7 men's is roughly an 8.5 womens).

If they are complaining or could be happier go wide. Mine had some foot pain(she'd limp into the house after the car ride from practice) wearing youth/women standard widths. The last 2 seasons she switched to a D (womens wide) and now a 2E(men's wide) and hasnt had any complaints about them.

NB are the most readily available in wide sizes IME.

Last edited:

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate

My school used Mizuno products for softball. I also wore the cleats your asking about. They are pretty decent cleats. I thought they were pretty comfortable and they held up decently well. But, with us getting away from mandatory Mizuno use...I'm going back to using Ringors. Ringors held up the best for me and were the most comfortable cleats I've ever worn. Personally, I prefer using metal cleats but I've heard their molded cleats are really good as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802