Metal cleats at 14U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The rules in GA changed a few years ago allowing 14U players to wear metal cleats. They changed the rules because players were allowed to wear them in HS, but not in TB, so TB modified their rules.

May 8, 2013
I'm afraid my DD is going to be in molded cleats forever! As soon as she was playing at the 14U level (when it is allowed here) she wanted a pair of metal cleats. Got her a pair and after one outing in the circle she said never again. Said she felt like she was going to end up breaking her ankle or getting hurt.
At this point she is working toward getting recruited - I keep suggesting that maybe she should try the metal again b/c she might not have a choice once she gets to college. Still no go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 6, 2013
I always kept DD's old set of cleats in the truck. They saved our bacon more than once at an 8AM game, 1 hour from home and she gives me that look of "guess what I left at home?" :)

KEY FOR NEW TRAVEL BALL PARENTS - ALWAYS have and extra pair of cleats and an extra glove just in case - Could probably start a thread of "MUST HAVES" extras for the back of the truck

Feb 18, 2014
How much life are you seeing from metals?** My daughter has a year on her ringor pitching toes,* but she has worn down one of the metal cleats on her drag foot.* Instead of a rectangular blade it looks like a shark fin.

Aug 6, 2013
Id expect a good year on them. Plus - change them over to practice shoes

How is she wearing out the drag foot cleat on the dirt? You guys play on some hard packed fields?

My daughter is a pitcher but haven't gotten the pitchers toe. her ringors from last year are worn but wearable
We were surprised when she got new ones how far she had worn down the metal spikes on the old ones -

We have tried to convince her not to wear them on the concrete and gravel but she's 14 so she "Forgets" a lot-

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2014
Id expect a good year on them. Plus - change them over to practice shoes

How is she wearing out the drag foot cleat on the dirt? You guys play on some hard packed fields?

My daughter is a pitcher but haven't gotten the pitchers toe. her ringors from last year are worn but wearable
We were surprised when she got new ones how far she had worn down the metal spikes on the old ones -

We have tried to convince her not to wear them on the concrete and gravel but she's 14 so she "Forgets" a lot-

We have some pretty crappy soil, and she trenches right through the top soil. She ruins practice shoes that don't have pitchers toe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad