Metal Cleat Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Nearly 30% OF MLB players wear molded cleats. They say metal cleats are hard on your feet??? Some players switch back and forth.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
The biggest softball complex around, Lou Berliner park in Columbus, OH, just went to no metal for any age/ position this year. Of course, all 32 fields have turf infields, so that's the reason.
They redid the rest of the infields there? Had to stop on our way down one year to pick up non metal cleats because a handful of the fields had artificial. Wound up using them for one game.
Now years later I think my dd has worn them playing slow pitch.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
They redid the rest of the infields there? Had to stop on our way down one year to pick up non metal cleats because a handful of the fields had artificial. Wound up using them for one game.
Now years later I think my dd has worn them playing slow pitch.

Yep...over the past couple of years. The problems with them are #1) they are hotter than H8ll on sunny days. It was 118 degrees on the field when we played there last year. Temp outside was 89 and sunny. #2) As already mentioned, the ball doesn't react like it would on a normal field which throws the girls off.

As a side note, I've heard that they plan on expanding the complex further into the land the city owns behind the fields on the left as you enter the complex (the lower number fields). I overheard somebody mention adding 14-16 more but that may have just been conjecture on their part.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Yep...over the past couple of years. The problems with them are #1) they are hotter than H8ll on sunny days. It was 118 degrees on the field when we played there last year. Temp outside was 89 and sunny. #2) As already mentioned, the ball doesn't react like it would on a normal field which throws the girls off.

As a side note, I've heard that they plan on expanding the complex further into the land the city owns behind the fields on the left as you enter the complex (the lower number fields). I overheard somebody mention adding 14-16 more but that may have just been conjecture on their part.
At least the ball reaction will be
Consistent throughout The Weekend. Making teams switch from dirt to turf and back from game to game makes for confusion.

Jun 20, 2015

Believe expansion in that direction is impossible, There's a big river right there..

And yes they are hot and different bounces. but all bounces the same and they can be played on in minutes after rain.

Apr 8, 2019
Metal cleats are for show. They are hard on your my daughters feet especially in long tournaments. We have never had problems with molded cleats. They have just as much traction as the metal.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
The biggest softball complex around, Lou Berliner park in Columbus, OH, just went to no metal for any age/ position this year. Of course, all 32 fields have turf infields, so that's the reason.
Wow! That's gonna be about 30 acres of turf to somehow dispose of in about 15 years. Good luck.