Merry Christmas

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Axel Rudi Pell - Hallelujah - YouTube

Some praise to the man up stairs

Straightleg

SL- Great song and Leonard Cohen is the best songwriter of his genre the world has seen, I find it a little ironic that this particular song gets batted around as overtly religious because of the title, when he is probably best described as a Zen-Jewish-Secular Agnostic, or some similar sort of alphabet soup. This is a good cover of it, but given Cohen's body of work, it is probably more likely about a troubled relationship with a woman and the complicated nature of love. It seems all his best songs are.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Other artist who've covered it include Rufus Wainwright, Jeff Buckley, KD Lang. Each have unique interpretations.
My own favorite version. I find the strings haunting:

The story of Cohen's labored composition of the song is pretty interesting, took several years and ended up with a large number of verses, many as tortured as the song's creation itself.

Thank you for sharing and for the wishes.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Other artist who've covered it include Rufus Wainwright, Jeff Buckley, KD Lang. Each have unique interpretations.
My own favorite version. I find the strings haunting:

The story of Cohen's labored composition of the song is pretty interesting, took several years and ended up with a large number of verses, many as tortured as the song's creation itself.

Thank you for sharing and for the wishes.

Nice ...Thanks
I love just about all versions of this song.

SL

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
LOVE that song! Here is one of my favorite versions. If nothing else, listen to Kurt Nilsen starting @ 2:02 - he nails it!

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Does he ever.....what a set of pipes. Not sure what it is about this song, but everyone who sings it seems to be transported and completely makes it their own, there is no sense that it is being covered. It's like each person who sings it was the actual author.

BTW...."all I ever learned from love is how to shoot at someone who outdrew ya" is now up there with "thanks for the trouble you took from her eyes, I thought it was there for good so I never tried" and "I saw a beggar leaning on a wooden crutch...hey why not ask for more" (too long to type) as a few of his lyrics that hit me like a brick to the face.

stoked that somehow softball and Leonard Cohen have come together....Mix in Herman Hesse and Surfing and I would never leave the thread.

Oct 19, 2009
I am great full for so many things, my family, friends and all God has given me and my family.

I wish the best for every one along with a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

They had to cancel the Christmas play at church because Jesus had the flu.

All I want for Christmas is for Jesus and me to get over the flu.

Attachments

• sb-01350-2.jpg
    sb-01350-2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 4
Jan 18, 2011
Beautiful song! One of my favorites. I loved all 3 version but I must admit the last on posted gave me, dare I say it here, goosebumps.

Thanks for posting.

I wish all a Merry Christmas and enjoy your time with love ones, you'll never get it back once it passes.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Just found this version that a Christian band, "Cloverton", modified for Christmas. Definitely worth watching! Merry Christmas everyone!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck