Mask or No Mask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
As the technology evolves (e.g. hot composite bats), so should the safety equipment for fastpitch. There was a time when men's slow pitch pitchers never wore a mask or helmet, now they do after commonsense beat out machismo.

Btw- at 10u we always used a RIF (reduction in force) safety ball that wasn't squishy.

Jun 21, 2015
Why is this even an issue? If a girl wants to wear one, great! Why do some people frown on this? What's wrong with safety?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 5, 2016
Why is this even an issue? If a girl wants to wear one, great! Why do some people frown on this? What's wrong with safety?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The issue in the original post was that a coach was yelling at or scolding a girl for NOT wearing a mask. That's just wrong unless the team policy clearly states that masks shall be worn.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
mask or no mask, Rotational or linear, Catcher mask stays on or off on popups, Republican or democrat, Mac or PC, iPhone or Droid....two sides to every debate. choose what works best for you, but that doesn't make the other choice wrong for someone else.

Jul 5, 2016
Totally agree. Shoemaker got hit in the side of the head and a fielding mask would not have prevented this injury.

I think the larger point is that even the very best pitchers are at risk from line drives. Baseball pitchers have a bigger problem that softball pitchers in some ways because the follow thru from their pitching motion leaves them more defenseless for a short period of time.

Feb 13, 2015
Did you actually watch the video? Not sure how this is relevant with respect to a facemask.
I didn't watch the video, but I read the article about his injury. I hoped to influence the OP about the nature of injuries from a hard hit ball to the head. He seemed willing to accept the loss of a tooth or broken nose. This article shows much worse injuries are possible.

I stand by my post as relevant to wanting all players to wear a mask. The OP brought up 2 issues, the behavior of an AC and whether masks are necessary or not. I chose to address the mask issue as more important.

It strikes me as odd that coaches yelling at players about throwing rainbows, failing to get thier glove down and watching a third strike are acceptable and not worthy of a post. Yelling about failure to put on her mask draws the ire of these boards.

I don't condone yelling at kids any time.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I didn't watch the video, but I read the article about his injury. I hoped to influence the OP about the nature of injuries from a hard hit ball to the head. He seemed willing to accept the loss of a tooth or broken nose. This article shows much worse injuries are possible.

I stand by my post as relevant to wanting all players to wear a mask. The OP brought up 2 issues, the behavior of an AC and whether masks are necessary or not. I chose to address the mask issue as more important.

It strikes me as odd that coaches yelling at players about throwing rainbows, failing to get thier glove down and watching a third strike are acceptable and not worthy of a post. Yelling about failure to put on her mask draws the ire of these boards.

I don't condone yelling at kids any time.

Your points are valid, however you may have wanted to use an example that showed how a mask would have made a difference. In this case it would not made any difference. To your point worse injuries are possible, car crashes, drownings, etc. all which are as relevant to wearing a mask as the injury shown in the video. This goes to the point that this is an emotion driven issue, with little application of logic or empirical data.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid