Mask or No Mask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
A pitcher in our district took a line drive off the head last year, no mask. Suffered a concussion. Wasnt there, but heard the ball bounced off her head over the dugout. First game back after a concussion, still no mask, I couldn't believe it. Still can't believe it

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Bad hops usually come from kids allowing the ball to play them. DD plays catcher and OF but still takes infield practice. According to HER, if you don't play the ball you can expect the bad hop and sometimes you do catch it to the side.

Mar 26, 2016
Well with all due respect My Daughter will not wear a Mask at 14u didn't last year at 12u at short Stop. I've read every page its like Republicans VS Democrats here neither of what anyone of you say in this thread no one gives a shirt and if you let this thread get to you then you have a serious problem with yourself. And after I told this coach my Daughter wont be wearing one he didn't say a thing again about it again. I can never yell at a girl who isn't wearing a mask.

Jun 12, 2015
Bad hops usually come from kids allowing the ball to play them. DD plays catcher and OF but still takes infield practice. According to HER, if you don't play the ball you can expect the bad hop and sometimes you do catch it to the side.

Yeah but if a mistake can cause her a head injury or a broken nose or cost her a few teeth, it seems like a reasonable safety measure to me. My 10U player a really good little short stop but she's 9. She can't always compensate for hops on a chewed up field that hasn't been dragged since morning and to me, it's just better to be safe than sorry. I could see it if it negatively affected their play but for a lot of players today they've been wearing a mask since they were tiny. We got our first mask in 8U all stars when she was 7, so she's just used to it. If she doesn't want to wear one when she's in 14U though, I won't make her, at short stop. Pretty sure it's going to be non-negotiable at pitcher if she wants to keep playing though.

I wish the political debate were like the face mask debate! Because then the overwhelming majority would be on the same side ;)

Jul 5, 2016
Wow times have changed. Used to be some would begrudgingly agree the pitcher should wear on. Then it was the corners and now we are working on the MIs. I guess by the time DD enters college the consensus will be ok with the OFs wearing them. FWIW, I'm ok with P and 3rd. Guess I need some more convincing for the rest.

I've seen some outfielders who should wear masks, but only in rec. I can't see masks really catching in the outfield but there shouldn't be any shame in wearing one either.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles