Mask or No Mask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
DD 3 has worn a mask for a long time.
She used to hate her old mask, but after reading DFP I got her one she will wear. Lots of close calls, but balls haven't hit her face.

One time when DD 3 was batting, she smacked a line drive into the 3B face. Knocked the mask off the girl's face. If that girl hadn't been wearing a mask, hospital time. Instead they called time so the 3B could put her mask back on.

Even if you don't care what happens to your DDs face, think about the batters on the other team. If some poor girl breaks your DD's orbital eye socket with a line drive, the poor batter will be traumatized for seriously injuring another player.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Wow times have changed. Used to be some would begrudgingly agree the pitcher should wear on. Then it was the corners and now we are working on the MIs. I guess by the time DD enters college the consensus will be ok with the OFs wearing them. FWIW, I'm ok with P and 3rd. Guess I need some more convincing for the rest.

Jun 12, 2015
Wow times have changed. Used to be some would begrudgingly agree the pitcher should wear on. Then it was the corners and now we are working on the MIs. I guess by the time DD enters college the consensus will be ok with the OFs wearing them. FWIW, I'm ok with P and 3rd. Guess I need some more convincing for the rest.

Why does it make more sense to wear a mask at the corners than middle infield? I've always wondered that. My DD has gotten way more hard hits at her at SS than she ever did at 1B. Is it just because the short stop should be more athletically inclined to deal with hard hits? If so then if the mask doesn't affect the player negatively, what's the down side of wearing one? Even at 10U it seems like overkill for the outfield, but again, if it doesn't affect how they play I don't think it matters.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Recently just about every 14u team I've seen has had all the IF with masks and none of the outfielders.

The change has been rapid. 4 years ago DD 1's coach recommended her to wear a mask for 14u and 16u games playing 3B. She never would. We finally got her to at least wear a mouth guard. It seemed like few girls wore masks just 4 years ago. Now it is rare to see an IF without a mask.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Just this past week we had a kid on JV while warming up with the team throwing from maybe 40ft catch a ball with her nose. It tipped off her glove (should have been paying more attention?) and broke her nose, two black eyes and a concussion. Very pretty girl, one of the team pitchers, sophomore in HS, usually wears a mask during games now saying she might not play anymore. BTW, this happened while the Varsity game was going on and the opposing team had maybe one kid playing infield with a mask and some of our Varsity players won't wear one either. My DD's have worn masks when playing anywhere on the infield for years and that's how they practice as well, doesn't seem to hinder them in any way.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Unless it is a league rule, it is up to the player whether they wear one or not.
the coach's response was out of line, just as if he was yelling at her for not going to bed at what he considers an appropriate time.

that being said, Peanut I think you are nuts (sorry, I couldn't resist:D)

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Our fields are terrible, bad hops are gonna happen, most of our girls wear masks. When it comes time for infield, the girls will go grab their masks. Usually nobody has to say anthing

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Why does it make more sense to wear a mask at the corners than middle infield?

Because the MIs often stand 20-30 further away from where 3rd plays. The original post was talking about 14U and my daughter plays 18U club so I'm coming at it from that perspective. Others that have posted here may be referring to younger teams.

Jun 11, 2013
I don't make my DD wear a mask. I would certainly get her any she wanted to. If she still pitched I would make here wear one. As for why on the corners
and not the middle infield it's because you have a chance to prepare for it. It's not like the liners coming back from the P.

Feb 7, 2013
Middle infielders should also wear a mask because bad hops can and do happen on any field, at any time. Wake up parents....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles