Mask or No Mask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
10u Fall ball... sent out my standard email to parents before first practice. I always mention the league requirement of fielders needing either a mask or a mouth-guard. I think it's the perfect rule, as it gives the illusion of choice... but after a week or two of trying to keep up with a mouth-guard (never-mind trying to keep it clean enough to use), EVERYONE opts for the face-mask. And I tell the parents that in my email.

One of the parents new to our league shows up to first practice, and notices ALL the girls wearing masks... and says in a kind of surprised tone... "So, you were serious about everyone using the face masks?" I was like... "Yep" :)

Anyway, as a coach, I am glad my league stepped up with a rule (all the way up to 17U), so I don't have to fight that battle individually as a volunteer coach.

Curious what affiliation plays 17U? Not being sarcastic, just never heard of it.

May 16, 2016
Curious what affiliation plays 17U? Not being sarcastic, just never heard of it.

Rec league... looks like oldest two divisions are split up this way, 11 to 13 and 13 to 17. Probably not enough girls participate in older leagues to have traditional divisions 14u, 16u and 18u.

Honestly, I really don't know.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013

I don't know about 17U, but since Utrip ages up in August or sept 1 so the fall tournaments have odd numbers some times so we have
played 15U tournaments. It would allow a team of 02's that might have one 01 on it to stay together at essentially 14U.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles