Mask or No Mask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Masks should be mandatory in TB and HS for all infielders.

Standard all-american answer. Still dumb.

A Coach shouldn't be making that choice for somebody else's daughter. Is the coach going to be there for her to make smoothies because her teeth are gone? NO. Is the coach going to be there for her when she doesn't get a date to the prom because she looks like Frankenstein? NO. Is the coach going to pick up the medical bills? NO.

I would contend that if there is anything the coach "shouldn't" be doing is excluding the option of wearing a mask

As a parent you are crazy to want to deal with this unnecessary stuff over a perceived slight advantage in a sport that very, very few will ever be rewarded financially. If a girl makes a error and blames it on the mask that is probably the same girl who wants a new bat every time she strikes out.
When the girls are adults they can make their own decisions, but until then P and all IF's should be required to wear a mask.

This is the absolute point of responsibility. So, why is their a need to assume parental control by a sanctioning body?

May 12, 2016
The shouldn't coach of yelled, but some coaches do make it mandatory before the girls even step on the field. If that's the case then he does have the right to ask to put her mask on. I am pro mask and not just for safety reasons. I saw many girls improve their performance by wearing a mask (at many different levels), for example girls who have a tendency to turn their head to the side or pull up prematurely when a grounder is hit their way resulting in a ball under their glove.

May 12, 2016
Because the MIs often stand 20-30 further away from where 3rd plays. The original post was talking about 14U and my daughter plays 18U club so I'm coming at it from that perspective. Others that have posted here may be referring to younger teams.

No matter where you are on the field, a bad hop can occur.... "look mom, no teeth"

May 12, 2016
Totally agree. Shoemaker got hit in the side of the head and a fielding mask would not have prevented this injury.

Actually this is what a lot of girls do who don't wear a face mask. Hard shot hit at them and to prevent from getting hit in the face they turn their head. A lot of girls who wear a face mask are more comfortable handling a hard line drive and will not turn their head. Depends on the individual, but it can certainly prevent a girl from turning their head.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
No matter where you are on the field, a bad hop can occur.... "look mom, no teeth"

Life has risks, deal with it. If not maybe stay home and read a book? At the higher levels where players routinely lay out for a ball a mask introduces additional risks. Which is one reason why many players eventually make a choice to play without. The bottom line is that a while providing protection a mask does hinder ones ability. The pitching position being an exception, where it really does not matter.

May 12, 2016
Quoted from MLB website article:

"Five MLB pitchers were struck in the head by line drives last year, four of them in the face. None of the new caps protect the facial area, but line drives to the side of the head are considered more life-threatening."

Here is the article:
MLB pitcher head protection coming in spring | MLB.com

With injuries to side of head considered more life threatening, I believe that facemasks mandated in softball and continuing to coach them to keep thier eye on the ball (face toward the ball) to get more balls in the glove is a no-brainer, or maybe a brain-saver.

As I previously pointed out, wearing a mask may help reinforce this. Some kids more comfortable and protected to keep their eye on the ball instead of pulling away from it when they have a face mask on. My daughter will be playing 14u next year and she won't get on the field without a face mask, any position. She use to wear glasses when she first started and I popped her one right above the eye and she still has a scar from it. Infield/outfield makes no difference she's more confident with a face mask and a better player because of it

May 12, 2016
Life has risks, deal with it. If not maybe stay home and read a book? At the higher levels where players routinely lay out for a ball a mask introduces additional risks. Which is one reason why many players eventually make a choice to play without. The bottom line is that a while providing protection a mask does hinder ones ability. The pitching position being an exception, where it really does not matter.

Well that's the point isn't it! Wearing a mask mitigates that risk, so girls are dealing with it. And by wearing a mask it may save her from an injury that interferes with reading a book. Now she can play ball and read a book. ;)

The pitching position doesn't matter, lol. A good pitcher quite often fields more balls than anybody on the team.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2015
My DD is 11, plays pitcher and occasionally right field, and is the Ace for her tb team. When she is in the circle, she wears her mask. When she plays outfield, she wears her mask, though I think it is more out of habit than anything else.

She is 11, so I don't give her a choice when it comes to wearing the mask while in the circle. If when she is 16 or 17, she no longer wants to wear a mask, I will respect her decision.

If when she is older and wants to wear a mask, fine. If not, also fine. If her coach makes masks required, fine. If the coach leaves it up to the player, fine.

About the only situation I would not be fine with is a coach saying masks could NOT be worn, period.

Jun 21, 2015
My daughter at 14u plays both corners and she always wears a mask. If she gets moved to the OF she will mostly leave it on, I think out of habit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Well that's the point isn't it! Wearing a mask mitigates that risk, so girls are dealing with it. And by wearing a mask it may save her from an injury that interferes with reading a book. Now she can play ball and read a book. ;)

The pitching position doesn't matter, lol. A good pitcher quite often fields more balls than anybody on the team.

You missed the ball! My point was that a mask does not hinder a pitchers ability to field to the point it warrants not wearing one. The same can not be said for corners and MI. There you need to analyze the risk reward trade off.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1