Mask Hypothetical

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Would DD seriously consider quitting if she hit and permanentaly injured a pitcher?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Would your DD seriously consider quitting the sport if she seriously injured (i.e., season-, career-, life-altering/threatening injury) a pitcher with a batted ball?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
That's an interesting question. I'm not sure how my DD would answer it.

And I'm not sure anyone could know for sure unless it actually happened.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I already know the answer. My DD hit 4 pitchers with liners last season. 1 in the ankle, 1 in the thigh (removed from the game and out for 3 weeks), 1 in the ribs (removed from game) and the scariest one I've ever seen hit a girl under her mask. The girl lifted her chin and barely got her hand up. DD ran to first and took a knee. After we checked the pitcher my DD went and made sure she was ok but really hasn't slowed her at all. It's part of the game.

Better question might be hurt any player not just the pitcher.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I vote No for this poll. She has hit enough batters when she pitches so she understands it is all part of the game.

If you had a pregnant player playing and DD caused a pregnancy Issue she would be done with SB.

Jul 23, 2014
I think my daughter would consider it...although I don't think she would ultimately quit. I do think it would make her much more tentative at the plate. I'm still trying to coax some aggressiveness and killer instinct out of her already. Seriously hurting someone would set things back for her I'm afraid.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Would she seriously consider it? Yes. Would she do it? Probably not. She's taken out several pitchers already in her career but none with a serious injury. I think the serious injury part would leave her to reevaluate whether she wants to continue to play but ultimately she would continue on.

Jun 11, 2013
DD has hit several players, luckily none badly injured. Her rule she placed on herself is that she never goes to second if the ball goes the away from fielder.

Mar 28, 2013
DD has hit a few pitchers in different spots ,Including one in the mask that knocked the pitcher off her feet, But I believe the intent of the question is if she ever rearranged a pitchers face or god forbid worse. She most certainly would consider quitting but most likely would continue on playing. If she killed someone or did permanent damage at that point this would be something she would need counseling for and most likely be a tragic memory for the rest of her life. No different when a cop has to take a life, ya its part of the job but even in cases of self defense its life changing. I've said it before and I'll say it again The choice to wear one is yours to make alone but don't believe for half a second if you guessed wrong the burden is solely yours.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I already know the answer. My DD hit 4 pitchers with liners last season. 1 in the ankle, 1 in the thigh (removed from the game and out for 3 weeks), 1 in the ribs (removed from game) and the scariest one I've ever seen hit a girl under her mask. The girl lifted her chin and barely got her hand up. DD ran to first and took a knee. After we checked the pitcher my DD went and made sure she was ok but really hasn't slowed her at all. It's part of the game.

Better question might be hurt any player not just the pitcher.

It can get scarier and the potential for severe injury is greater when they have grown and matured into uber-conditioned, well-trained hitting machines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy