Maggie Update - Help Appreciated

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2011
Well, obviously everything that's going on has stunted progress. We got the hell out of dodge and retreated to my parents place out in the country. We're well off the beaten path, but we are getting some work in. I think she's making progress, but there's still something going on that I can't quite put my finger on. I think she has a better feel for coiling as she strides. Her travel coach sent her a Blast sensor, and her Attack Angle is hovering between 8 and 11, so when you look at the 3D swings on the app; it shows that she is finishing up through the ball better than she was. The thing that has both of us is this:

Her left arm straightens out, she rolls over RIGHT AFTER CONTACT, and then she seems to pull her hands across. It's almost like she's swinging around the ball, but I need some more eyeballs on it. Trying to really take advantage of this time to get her swing where it needs to be. She's really motivated, she's being extremely patient, and for once...keeping her mouth shut. Just need to see if someone else on here can help us out. Here's a swing from yesterday. I do think the leg kick is a little extreme. That's her working on feeling the coil as she strides. Thanks everyone.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Ok . I will go first. Strong and sudden. If you want her launch a little higher have her set up with shoulders a little more down hill and a little more hip hinge.
Don't change too much!

It that her real game stance?
Have her look out at an imaginary pitcher instead of staring at the ball. Or better yet you get on other side of bownet and simulate a pitcher's motion.

"I do think the leg kick is a little extreme. "
Not at all.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Not bad. She might be getting lead arm out plane a little.

I think the back foot skips forward to much. Which means she is getting the weight to far onto the front leg. For a tee swing your not timing the ball, so you shouldn’t be fooled with shifting the weight forward.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Three differences I noticed in the swings of Maggie and Alex. Planting of the stride foot, when and how the hands go down and the movement of the back leg. Doing great Maggie :cool: .

- Softball Swing Mechanics - Alex Hugo

- Alex Hugo Hitting Mechanics

Last edited:
May 1, 2011
Maybe this 'content' will/would be helpful:

14Separation.gif

Yellow line should be in the hip area but, you get the idea.

So...am I basically seeing that her head is getting to far out over her front side. I swear when I read some of the things you guys put on here...I know you are trying to be simple, but I also feel like sometimes y'all assume I know EXACTLY what you're getting at.

May 1, 2011
Here's a swing from a previous session (probably 2-3 days before the video on the initial post). I think this looks better. I see where there's not as much movement of her head. She looks much more balanced. She doesn't load up on her backside as much either.

Jun 8, 2016
In the second swing her setup is different, e.g. she starts with her elbow up which seems to effect (positively) her sequencing. In the first swing her load is rushed a bit, partly because her negative move occurs at about the same speed as the second swing but in that time she has to go from elbow down to elbow up at launch. How does she setup when she is hitting a moving ball?

Sep 29, 2014
I'm gonna put this in the category of gotta see a live swing....even if you just front toss from 20 ft or so from behind a screen.

I'm just not sold that turn looks the same when not on a tee. I could offer a few suggestions but could be counter productive versus a live pitcher

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Dear CobraAssist and Maggie.

I sense that Maggie is a very successful hitter and this insane pandemic hiatus we are all suffering is getting to us.

• Trying to hit the ball very hard off a tee has screwed up many a hitter.
    • Tee for developing a stroke
    • Adrenaline of the game creates bombs
  • Squeezing hands too tight to start the swing
    • Bat path usually down to the ball
    • Bat around the ball
    • Hands pulling across.
    • Will cause roll-over before contact and a number of hard 2-hop ground balls to SS
  • Sequence
    • Maggie, your upper body is turning when your hips turn. Upper body should still be loading.
    • Attached Youtube about sequence
  • 1st video
    • Left foot landed flat-footed with no release
    • Can injure your knee
  • 2nd video
    • Don’t watch the 1st video anymore ;)
    • Suggest starting to work the sequence off this swing
- Softball Swing Sequence

Attachments

• Hitter-3.jpg
    Hitter-3.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 8