Maddie's Middle School Softball Tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
Maddie played volleyball for the first time in 6th grade, and did well with it (her BFF is a club VB player). She also played this past fall until she hurt her knee goofing off at home. She will probably play VB again next year.

I love watching softball players play VB. They aren't afraid of the ball, are good at reading where the ball is going to go, and usually can serve pretty well. Plus catchers aren't afraid of using their kneepads when digging balls!

My DD's MS does VB in the spring and softball in the fall.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I love watching softball players play VB. They aren't afraid of the ball, are good at reading where the ball is going to go, and usually can serve pretty well. Plus catchers aren't afraid of using their kneepads when digging balls!

My DD's MS does VB in the spring and softball in the fall.

Agreed. All of the softball girls do pretty well with VB. Maddie and her fellow TB catcher both crush serves (same OH throwing pattern).

We have VB in the fall and softball in the spring. That said, this is the first year the school has had any softball.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
In So Cal TB, there is no "wait for the summer season" period. Even rec leagues are already started.
That's true even our rec leagues have started here in Nor Cal.

I was just thinking more that the travel season is usually suspended or light when girls are playing school ball.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
That's true even our rec leagues have started here in Nor Cal.

I was just thinking more that the travel season is usually suspended or light when girls are playing school ball.

In HS, yes. Not so much for MS. Our TB team is running pretty much full gas from here to the end of July.

Jun 8, 2016
This afternoon is the tryout for Maddie's MS team. She's one of just two TB players in the school, with the other also being a catcher with a big bat. The rest of the team will be players from the local rec league, and possibly a couple of first-timers.

Honestly, I think the team is going to be pretty challenged. The prospects for pitching are fairly limited. HC's DD can pitch, but doesn't love it. The other girls with pitching experience are pretty raw.

The HC was Maddie's coach on a couple of all-star/select teams in 8U and 10U rec ball, and her DD played on Maddie's TB team for a few months at the end of 10U. She's a good rec ball level coach, and I trust her to not mess with Maddie's mechanics.

Although the HC asked me to be an AC for the team, I don't have the time available, so - for the first time - Maddie will be on her own. I think this aspect will be good for her.

Maddie's limitation right now is that she hasn't been able to throw overhand for about a month due to a nerve irritation issue. She's working with a physical therapist, and things are getting better, but it will probably be a couple more weeks until she is back to throwing. HC is aware of the issue, and will work around it. She wants Maddie's bat, for sure.

It's been 2 years since Maddie has played rec ball, and I'm curious to see how she adapts to being in the mix with rec-level players again.

Is the nerve issue a repetitive type injury or was due to a specific trauma?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Is the nerve issue a repetitive type injury or was due to a specific trauma?

Nothing definitive. Might be over-use. Might be related to incomplete rehab of a UCL issue from 15 months ago. Might be related to a growth spurt. Somehow, something changed, and the ulnar nerve was getting irritated on the transition from back to forward in the throwing motion.

Jun 8, 2016
Nothing definitive. Might be over-use. Might be related to incomplete rehab of a UCL issue from 15 months ago. Might be related to a growth spurt. Somehow, something changed, and the ulnar nerve was getting irritated on the transition from back to forward in the throwing motion.

Well I wish her good luck with the rehab.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
In HS, yes. Not so much for MS. Our TB team is running pretty much full gas from here to the end of July.

I guess yeah I was thinking more HS.

A lot of middle schools don't have school programs, I know ours does not. And as you mentioned this is the first year your school has it in recent memory.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

My DD also had an ulnar nerve issue that was related to a growth spurt. She was out of action for about six weeks and then wore one of those tennis elbow braces. Has not had a problem since. Not sure it would help Maddie but it may be worth looking into.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Post-Tryout Update (from the little bit Maddie shared with me):

14 players showed up (that's more than I expected, for sure). 2 TB players, a bunch of current rec players, a few that have played rec (but not recently), and a couple of newbies. Coach went through some simple ground ball and fly ball drills to see where their skill level is, and did some front-toss hitting. All easy stuff for Maddie, as expected. Most importantly, it seems like she had a fun time.

I suspect there's a part of her that enjoyed getting to show off her skills in front of friends who haven't seen her play in a couple of years. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles