Lower Body (no stride)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Dynamic balance- balance within a movement.

With that being said. Take another look at the young lady. If you think she is balanced. Then there is no longer a reason to carry on this conversation. Can’t make you see what you can’t see.

If you think her balancing on her backside is dynamic balance... well ok , no need to further the discussion.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
My last post was a tad harsh. Not my intent. Apologies. Personally I like to help the weaker. The talented players don’t need as much help. They figure a lot out on their own. In the ego trip of coaching it is definitely exhilarating to help players improve. Not take credit. Just help them. Especially the ones others cast aside or ‘cut’.

It doesn’t matter who you ‘hit’ with or helped. What matters is the content you bring to your posts. I won’t judge you off of anything else. The post I quoted sounded to me like a cop out. I could have interpreted wrong. But I only go off what I read and see.
Thank you, and yes, you did interpret it wrong. I know nothing of the hitters in question (the OP's DD or the one in the video he posted), and as such...IMO, if his DD was having trouble emulating whichever collegiate or MLB player(s) he might have tried, the young lady in his initial post is not a bad example of a different "style" to try if that is indeed what he wished to try...I'm seen much worse at that age.

W=w, I have nothing against you, your DD, or what it is you say you teach. I'm fine with you using/liking your hitters to be balanced 50/50, as there are enough HL hitters that do that as well. However, IMO...there are just as many HL hitters that are not 50/50 but more 60/40 or even 70/30 at times during their swings, so if I have hitters who proprioceptively feel more comfortable with something closer to the latter than the former...well then I'll work with that, and not force them into something the doesn't fit their personal "style" or natural athletic movements.

I hope we can move forward with the understanding that not all hitters are the same, and thusly need to be allowed variations in "style" which should not be confused with "absolutes". I suppose if you believe that a hitter's exact balance (50/50) is an "absolute", and not a "style" where you'll see HL hitters carry their weight differently throughout their swings...well then I guess we could have a discussion on that.

However, if you do believe that, I'm not sure how any further discussion(s) will change what either of us believe...because I see different weight movements, transitions, transfers, and shifts in many different HL hitters, and not all at the 50/50 balance that you might see in all of them.

Apologies as well if you feel I offended you and/or your DD earlier...I can assure that it was not intentional nor intended.

Cheers,
MB

Apr 11, 2015
So if she is dynamically balanced. How would you fix the sequencing problem she has? How about the backside being stuck? How about the dragging of the bat?
I'm afraid that you already know what I'd do to fix not only her "dragging of the bat", but that would also change the "dynamic balance" loading/unloading she's doing right now. Now that doesn't mean that she'd become "unbalanced"...just a different "dynamic balance" than she has now. (I'm sure that just exploded some minds...LOL!! :D)

Jun 8, 2016
Dynamic balance- balance within a movement.

With that being said. Take another look at the young lady. If you think she is balanced. Then there is no longer a reason to carry on this conversation. Can’t make you see what you can’t see.

If you think her balancing on her backside is dynamic balance... well ok , no need to further the discussion.

Would I be correct in saying that your idea of balance is that if I applied a force to a "balanced" object which is offset from the COM, then the object would not rotate or if it did rotate,
once the force is removed the object would return to its position before the force was applied?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thank you, and yes, you did interpret it wrong. I know nothing of the hitters in question (the OP's DD or the one in the video he posted), and as such...IMO, if his DD was having trouble emulating whichever collegiate or MLB player(s) he might have tried, the young lady in his initial post is not a bad example of a different "style" to try if that is indeed what he wished to try...I'm seen much worse at that age.

W=w, I have nothing against you, your DD, or what it is you say you teach. I'm fine with you using/liking your hitters to be balanced 50/50, as there are enough HL hitters that do that as well. However, IMO...there are just as many HL hitters that are not 50/50 but more 60/40 or even 70/30 at times during their swings, so if I have hitters who proprioceptively feel more comfortable with something closer to the latter than the former...well then I'll work with that, and not force them into something the doesn't fit their personal "style" or natural athletic movements.

I hope we can move forward with the understanding that not all hitters are the same, and thusly need to be allowed variations in "style" which should not be confused with "absolutes". I suppose if you believe that a hitter's exact balance (50/50) is an "absolute", and not a "style" where you'll see HL hitters carry their weight differently throughout their swings...well then I guess we could have a discussion on that.

However, if you do believe that, I'm not sure how any further discussion(s) will change what either of us believe...because I see different weight movements, transitions, transfers, and shifts in many different HL hitters, and not all at the 50/50 balance that you might see in all of them.

Apologies as well if you feel I offended you and/or your DD earlier...I can assure that it was not intentional nor intended.

Cheers,
MB

No worries. This is the problem with a lot of discussions on here. People have different fundamentals that they believe in. It can get smoky and hard to breath fast. Especially for Dads that are learning.

With this being said. I believe in emulating MLB HOF hitters. The Hanson principle if you will. The Barry video I posted awhile ago is just one of a ton of things that I use to base my teachings around. Hitting gurus, especially ones that don’t really have a proven sustainable track record is not something I would prescribe to anyone. I would consider it if their track record was consistent and proven.As well as their pattern matching the best. Very few ‘gurus’ can show this. Everything I teach is based off of what I see/hear/learn from an MLBer that has proven he has knowledge of his swing and how it works. Or a coach that has a proven track record.

As with everything I learn. I always question ‘why’. It’s the only way to have great brakes when bad info is in play. If you believe everything you read. You will never find a good foundation to teach mechanics. There is a lot of bad info out there. A LOT.

I’m sorry if I come off harsh at times. I just don’t take teaching kids or my job as a coach/mentor lightly.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I'm afraid that you already know what I'd do to fix not only her "dragging of the bat", but that would also change the "dynamic balance" loading/unloading she's doing right now. Now that doesn't mean that she'd become "unbalanced"...just a different "dynamic balance" than she has now. (I'm sure that just exploded some minds...LOL!! :D)

Thank you. Just wanted to make sure WE both saw the flaw.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Would I be correct in saying that your idea of balance is that if I applied a force to a "balanced" object which is offset from the COM, then the object would not rotate or if it did rotate,
once the force is removed the object would return to its position before the force was applied?

Why would I apply force to a balance object. Not the same. The object applies ITS own force. If I’m reading g you right.

Jun 8, 2016
Why would I apply force to a balance object. Not the same. The object applies ITS own force. If I’m reading g you right.

I am just trying to get your technical definition of balance. You defined dynamic balance as balance within a movement, e.g. you defined a group of words using a word
contained in the group of words you were trying to define :D

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I am just trying to get your technical definition of balance. You defined dynamic balance as balance within a movement, e.g. you defined a group of words using a word
contained in the group of words you were trying to define :D

Thank you Pattar. Let me post a suitable answer to your question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrakesii