Lower back injury

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
JAD,

If I am understanding you correctly. You daughter sometimes brings the ball back and it goes behind her head when it 'Torks' her back?

When you say 'torks her back', does that mean she is bending forward quite a bit at the waist? If so, is she coming forward from the rubber AS she comes back up? Does that sound like what she is doing?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
JAD,

If I am understanding you correctly. You daughter sometimes brings the ball back and it goes behind her head when it 'Torks' her back?

When you say 'torks her back', does that mean she is bending forward quite a bit at the waist? If so, is she coming forward from the rubber AS she comes back up? Does that sound like what she is doing?

She does not bend forward at the waist during her wind up or come forward from the rubber. She over rotates her right shoulder (she is a RHP), probably in an effort to get extra "umph" on the pitch, and it causes her to "tork" her lower back which leads to muscle strain.

This could be an over simplification of the cause....one or both of two things. I am ASSUMING your Doc/Chiro have giving you info on the second one:
1) Never underestimate the value of a good prepitching warm up.....before she ever picks up the ball. She should do enough to raise her body temperature 1 1/2 to 2 degrees. Then a progressive (short to long/slow to fast) pitching warm up is optimal. Dynamic warm up/stretching before pitching.....static stretching after pitching.

2) Stretching programs......your physician should recommend what to do/not do. Be religious about this even if the pain goes away.

Hal has suggested a video.....great idea 'cause it is highly possible that correcting a mechanical flaw will eliminate the problem. I suggest posting it here, but I also suggest showing it to your physician.

Probably not a lot of qualified physicians on this site so keep your physician in the loop on anything you remotely question.

Jul 26, 2010
She does not bend forward at the waist during her wind up or come forward from the rubber. She over rotates her right shoulder (she is a RHP), probably in an effort to get extra "umph" on the pitch, and it causes her to "tork" her lower back which leads to muscle strain.

I had a kid that did that, had pain as well. The fix is to not let them bring their hand back behind them. Keep it in the glove in front of them or at the hip. This will effect their forward stride force a bit, but it will benefit their timing by allowing the arm to be in a better position at landing/resistance to maximize the pendulum. . . and it's way easier on their body.

-W

May 10, 2010
I am a believer in the inversion table and the chiropractor. Some times problems with the back flare up when pitching and may no be the actual cause. RB's thread on his dd's back issue is a very good read and should be a useful guide.

KDD

May 10, 2010
Thanks to everyone for their input, we have decided to go get a ct scan and another mri to try and catch anything that was missed! We go Wednesday morning for that. I will try to get some video up as soon as I figure out how. I only have it on my phone. I will keep everyone informed and thanks again!

KDD

May 10, 2010
Well, we have good news and bad news....The good news is the MRI and CT both were completely negative to anything wrong with the spine!!! Bad news is we have no clue what is causing the pain. They looked specifically for the stress fractures that were mentioned in the privious post along with anything else spinal. Next move is to go to urologist to make sure nothing is wrong with the kidney(which is where the pain actually is right over her right kidney, and to check gall bladder per Amy's suggestion.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Well, we have good news and bad news....The good news is the MRI and CT both were completely negative to anything wrong with the spine!!! Bad news is we have no clue what is causing the pain. They looked specifically for the stress fractures that were mentioned in the privious post along with anything else spinal. Next move is to go to urologist to make sure nothing is wrong with the kidney(which is where the pain actually is right over her right kidney, and to check gall bladder per Amy's suggestion.

KDD,

I recently had a family member with localized kidney/back pain. They were treating her for stones. A third doctor found an issue with appendix... which was absolutely the worst experience ever. I am in no way insinuating that this is what she has... but getting that looked at and ruled out is perhaps worth mentioning.... hope she is ok...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors