low back pain, how common is the dreaded pars fracture?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I don't remember my friends in middle school having so many injuries at such a young age. Maybe we played with pain and the diagnosis is much better now but I have to think that over specialization / overuse has something to do with it?

when we were kids, we played our sport during season,
and then pick-up games at the fields (or in the street!) occasionally off-season,
and also played a large variety of other sport.

We certainly didn't sport-specific train in the garage and/or basement off-season,
and certainly not 3x-4x per week, until maybe HS sophomore or junior years -
and even then that was pretty rare.

I don't remember having any friends whose parents really pushed them to train so specifically, repetitively at such young ages.

the advent of "travel sports" sure has changed a lot.

Last edited:
May 22, 2012
MRI confirmed pars fracture at L5. This is going to be tough to break to her. All I know now is we are supposed to see an ortho surgeon? Is that the logical next step? So confused and upset right now

****Editing this for anyone reading, or may read in the future. This diagnosis was given over the phone and was misconstrued. DD's actual diagnosis is an "active" Stress Reaction at L4. this will be treated very similiarly to and actual stress fracture.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
My DD went through a stress fracture of the S1 last year. We were treated by an pediatric ortho doc who was very familiar with kids and this type of injury.

DD was in a brace for 30 days without any pain. Since there was no pain she didn't need to wear the brace. Then 60 more days of pretty much rest, no physical activity. She's been fine ever since.

Every kid is different, every doctor treats things differently. Find a doctor you trust and make sure DD does what they say. Some are out longer than 3 months. Just depends on the kid.

Once she is healthy again, she needs to strengthen her core. Lots of core work.

We explained to DD that just because she's hurt, she can still help her team. She was the biggest cheerleader at practice and games. At games, she would study the other pitchers and figure out their tells to help her teammates. Now that is part of her overall game. She likes watching the opposing pitchers to figure out their tells.

I know how you feel. Watching my DD play sports is life's biggest pleasure for me right now. It sucks not being able to watcher her play when she is injured. But she's going to be healthy again and 3 months is really not that much time. The timing sucks, but there's nothing you can do about that.

May 22, 2012
Thank you spleen. We will do whatever is indicated here. Probably time to start thinking about next year, at least for pitching. We have no intentions of rushing anything, after all she is only 14. Her long term health comes first. My heart breaks for her.
Again, supposed to see a surgeon today. Again that word surgeon bothers me, but I'm assuming most Orth docs are surgeons. I'm still waiting for more specifics on the MRI results.
Trying to get as prepared for the appt. as I can in the next 3 hours. Uggh.

Jun 18, 2010
Maybe as a way to keep her involved, and engaged, you could ask her to journal her experience and recovery in a thread on DFP. I know she would get a lot of love and support from the members here and possibly help those in the future going through a similar injury. Just thinking out loud...

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Sorry to hear stickpile. I know exactly how you are feeling right now.....helpless to watch your dd go through something like that and not be able to do anything. I know doctors have to tell you the possiblities of worst case scenario type things...but after hearing "major surgery" numerous times, I, DW, and DD were scared to death. Thankfully all things worked out, and my DD is back to softball, and cheer. She will, however always have metal hardware attached to her spine.

My advise to you as a parent.....tell her the news. Be honest about what to expect, and how long it will be. Don't sugar coat it. Hold her. Let her cry, and throw things, or what ever she wants to do. Just be there for her. It will take some time for her mind to process. Many tears were shed at our house the year post surgery. I don't know if there are any websites, or support groups or anything for pars fractures. My dd was helped by connecting with and talking to people who had gone through the same thing, and who had already recovered. Light at the end of the tunnel kind of thing. We also went back to the hospital (childrens hospital st louis) a few times and DD went in and talked to other young girls getting ready for surgery, and some that had just had it, to show them that although things look bad right now, that it does get better. Good luck to your family.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
Sorry to hear stickpile. I know exactly how you are feeling right now.....helpless to watch your dd go through something like that and not be able to do anything. I know doctors have to tell you the possiblities of worst case scenario type things...but after hearing "major surgery" numerous times, I, DW, and DD were scared to death. Thankfully all things worked out, and my DD is back to softball, and cheer. She will, however always have metal hardware attached to her spine.

My advise to you as a parent.....tell her the news. Be honest about what to expect, and how long it will be. Don't sugar coat it. Hold her. Let her cry, and throw things, or what ever she wants to do. Just be there for her. It will take some time for her mind to process. Many tears were shed at our house the year post surgery. I don't know if there are any websites, or support groups or anything for pars fractures. My dd was helped by connecting with and talking to people who had gone through the same thing, and who had already recovered. Light at the end of the tunnel kind of thing. We also went back to the hospital (childrens hospital st louis) a few times and DD went in and talked to other young girls getting ready for surgery, and some that had just had it, to show them that although things look bad right now, that it does get better. Good luck to your family.

It sounds like we need a new forum called Injuries? Or maybe one specifically for back fractures? I've been PM'ing several families for the last 10 months, and it seems like there are more out there. This stinks. :(

May 22, 2012
OK so we saw the Ortho Doc, and I beyond confused. Think I will be seeking a 2nd opinion. MRI report reads: Prominent marrow edema within the left L4 pedicle, slight marrow edema in the right pedicle of L4. This marrow edema left greater than right shows no bone expansion or destruction or adjacent soft tissue mass and there is no evidence of L4 spondylosis. The edema is considered benign and most likely represents a stress response.
At L5-S1 the findings are unremarkable except that there may be subtle or early bilateral spondylolysis.
Ortho Doc, says there is a stress response at L4 (he showed it to me on MRI). He recommends a brace for 6-8 weeks and physical therapy thereafter with a plan to return to the field in 3 months.
He seems to think her pain has nothing to do with the stress fracture and possibly comes from getting hit by the pitch. he also disputes that there is any abnormality at L5.
None of this is making much sense to me right now. Stick

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06